chapter three

"No, we just went out for icecream." I explained to the boy.

He nodded, my answer seeming to satisfy him. Steven opened his phone, turning to show me a funny video he found.

"Steven, I swear to god, if you look at that phone one more time, I'm putting it in the screen basket." Laurel scolded the boy.

"It's just we want to see your beautiful faces. Can dinner be a screen-free zone? You know, like the olden days." Susannah told the group.

Steven ignored what he was told causing Jeremiah to grab his phone and throw it.

"Boom! Nailed it." Jeremiah cheered, I brought my hand up as Jeremiah high fived it. "Seriously, Bri? Is this betrayal I'm sensing?" Steven said, squinting his eyes at me.

"But okay okay okay, we get it you've been working out." Steven added, rolling his eyes.

"Oh, you're just jealous because Jere has a better body than you." Belly retorted, smiling.

I raised an eyebrow at her. Was she looking at Jeremiah's body?

"Uh, no, actually, it's all about the lean look now. Right Bri?" He turned to me for back up.

I nodded sarcastically, taking a sip of my drink. "Otherwise, you can't wear tailored suits." Steven finished. "Tailored suits." Conrad mumbled with a grin.

"When are you leaving for training camp, man?" Reign asked, turning his attention to Conrad. "Uh, he quit football." Jeremiah answered for him.

"Wait, really? You quit?" I asked the boy confused.

"Mhm. Yeah." He replied simply. "Woah what man? I would kill to play college football." Steven added.

"He can always change his mind." Susannah chimed in. "I'm not going to change my mind. I was just going to sit on the bench all season anyways." Conrad quickly defended.

"Well, if you're not playing football, what are you going to do all summer?" Laur asked Conrad, causing him to shrug.

"Oh, dude. You can work at the club. Yeah, with me, Reign, and Jere." Steven smiled.

"I'm not gonna work at the club." Conrad said, shaking his head. "Wait, you guys are working this summer?" I asked the three boys.

"Yeah, I'm lifeguarding with Reign and Steven is working at the snack shop." Jeremiah answered.

I nodded curtly, turning to Belly. "Oh girls, I almost forgot. I have a surprise for you." Susannah said getting up and coming back with two white envelopes.

"So, this is why you had to stop by at the country club." Laurel said, giving a pointed look to Susannah. "I'm confused." I mumbled, as I carefully opened the envelope. "What is that?" Reign asked curiously.

"I wrangled the girls an invitation to be a debutante." Susannah smiled.

My eyes quickly lit up as I read the invitation excitedly. I was always so intrigued by the sophisticated event every summer. My mom never really allowed me to look into it, but now I was getting a chance to. Of course I was going to say yes!

"Is that the thing where the girls wear the white dresses and curtsy?" Belly asked.

"It is when a girl comes of age and is presented to society. I know it sounds silly, but I swear it's fun. Girls come from all over New England to Cousins just to be apart of it. You two would make so many new friends." Susannah said.

I smiled, feeling myself already get excited. This was going to be so much fun.

"I still can't believe you are holding onto this archaic dream." Laur said getting up. "No, it used to be about finding a husband, but now it's about networking. They teach you leadership skills, like how to market yourself, and it benefits charity." Susannah reassured us.

I listened intently, waiting for the right moment to say yes.

"The whole deb scene is bullshit. It's for sheep." Conrad interrupted. I frowned and it only got worse when Jeremiah agreed, "Yeah." He said nodding to Conrad.

I looked down at my invitation sadly. "I'm a little tired, I think I'm gonna go get some air. May I be excused?" I asked the woman politely.

She looked at me worried for a second before nodding. I got up, leaving the table and walking outside towards the dock.

I took a deep breath looking down at my invitation again.

My name was printed in black ink much bigger than the rest of the words spread across the white piece of paper.

I sighed, placing it back inside the envelope. "You know, if you want to do it you should." I heard a voice say from behind me.

"You heard what he said, it's for sheep Steven, even Jeremiah agreed." I turned to look at him. "So what? Prove em' wrong. I saw how excited you got when Susannah handed you the invitation Bri. Just do it." He said handing me a pen.

"I love it when you're right." I grinned, taking the pen and checking off the box that said accept. "Can you pretty please be my escort?" I begged the boy.

"Bri you know I'm not into that sort of thing. Why don't you ask Jere?" He groaned.

"Please?" I asked again. "I'll think about it." He complied, I smiled, running off the dock to go back inside.

I quickly found Susannah and handed her the invitation.

She took one look at it before her eyes widened. "Oh my gosh, really! Awh sweetheart this is going to be so much fun!" She cheered, making my smile wider.

"I know, I'm so excited!" I replied.

"Alright, well I think the boys were going to a bonfire, so you should hurry up and get ready if you want to join! Or alternatively, you can join Belly, Laur, and I for a movie night, your pick darling." Was all she said before walking away.

Bonfire, it is.

word count: 995
Thank you again for reading, hope you enjoyed! Like always please vote and comment for support! Love you!🤍