chapter thirty

song: yours - conan gray

I stayed quiet as we made our way back to the house.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but tonight was so much fun." Steven said to me and Conrad. "Tonight was so much fun." Con replied with a small smile. "Yeah." I said dryly.

"I mean Bri, didn't you notice Belly and Conrad. I'm not saying to start things back up again but something was definitely there." Steven told the boy while driving.

"Yeah, something was definitely there." I repeated from the back seat. I moved forward to lean my head on the driver's seat to get a good view of Conrad.

"I don't know. Maybe. It was nice to be friends again and not have everything be so I don't know, messy." He told the two of us before meeting my eyes. "It's easy to have something with someone who understands you." I tilted my head at his words before Steven chimed in.

"Exactly! That's why you and Belly are perfect for eachother and Jeremiah and Bri are too." I smiled at his words before zoning out.

Once we arrived, we all hopped out of the car and entered the house. "What the fuck?" I heard Jeremiah yell. "What happened-" The words died in my throat as I looked around the house.

Everything was gone.

I felt my steps get heavier as I carried myself into the main room. Jeremiah walked over to me, squeezing my hand in his. Everyone went different directions as I followed Jere up the stairs and into his mom's room.

"It's like she was never here at all. I didn't think it was possible for things to get worse." His voice shook, as tears started to blur my vision.

I moved to wrap my arms around his waist, burying my head in his chest. "This is worse." He whispered, leaning his head against mine.

I felt his tears drip down and I hugged him tighter. "We're going to fix this, it's going to be okay." I told the boy, although at this point I was starting to believe what I was saying wasn't true.

After awhile we made our way back down to the kitchen and Jere told everyone that everything was gone. We heard a door close from outside and we followed the noise.

"What the fuck Julia?" I heard Conrad shout. I made my way outside not wanting to hear another argument. I pulled out my phone, dialing the number of the only person I wanted to talk to right now.

"Reign?" I asked quietly as I heard the boy pick up.

"Bri, what's up? Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine." I replied, my voice betraying me. "What's going on?" He asked worriedly.

"Everything is gone. The house, it's gone. I don't know what to do, Jeremiah he..he" I stuttered, not being able to get my words out. "Breathe, breathe. It's going to be okay. Worry about yourself for a minute." His voice had already begun calming me down as I took a seat on the front steps of the house.

"I don't know what to do to help them.." I said quietly, finally catching my breath. "You've done all you can, but remember this does not fall on your shoulders, okay? Relax. You're going to be okay. I have to..let me call mom." He said, my eyes widening.

"No Reign, stop I'm okay." I tried to tell him. "Bri are you sure?" His voice coming out strained through the phone.

"I promise, just don't call mom. I'll call you again soon, okay?" I said to the boy, leaning my head against one of the pillars.

"You better call me if something happens." Was one of the last things he said before I ended the call. I sighed as the group started making their way outside. Conrad was trying to reach someone on the phone and I was guessing it was his dad.

"Of course dad did nothing to stop her. He doesn't care about us." He yelled, putting his phone back into his pocket. "Did you know about this?" Conrad said turning around to look at Skye. "Easy Con." I said, shutting my eyes still leaning on the pillar.

I had no idea how much more will power I had to fight this battle but I know it wasn't much.

"No, I'm serious. Did you know about this?" He asked again. "I didn't know anything, okay? I swear I would have told you. I wouldn't have sideswiped you like this." Skye defended themselves as I ran a hand through my hair.

Everything was going to shit.

"What do we do?" Steven asked quietly. "I don't know." Conrad said frustrated.

"We can't just leave, the house isn't sold yet." Jeremiah told the group.

"Also where are we sleeping?" I spoke up. "I am not sleeping in this house." "Hey man, we don't have to." Jeremiah said, putting a hand to his brother's shoulder.

"Hotels are usually booked up this time of year." Belly said confused. "I know a place we can crash for the night." Jeremiah finally said.

-

We reached the country club and it had looked like it had been closed for a good while.

I chuckled as Jeremiah pulled out his old clock-in card. "Shit." The boy cussed after trying a few times proved the card wasn't going to work. "We can use my mom's key code." Cameron suggested.

"Wouldn't she get in trouble though, if someone checked the logs?" I asked the boy worried. "No. She works the randomest hours so that alone should not raise any red flags so long as we don't make a mess like at all." He warned and we all immediately nodded. "Can we scavenge for food please?" Skye asked as we walked in and turned on the lights.

"Yeah, I'll show you where the kitchen is." Cameron led them away, Steven and Taylor separating from the group as well.

Now it was just Jeremiah, Conrad, Belly and me.

word count: 1003
Thank you guys for reading!! Don't forget to leave a vote/comment!🤍