chapter five

"Belly don't!" I tried to warn her, but against my wishes she walked towards them, causing her to get hit and fall down.

"Belly!" I yelled, running over towards the girl.

"Are you okay?" I asked worriedly, moving the hair away from her face to check for any injuries.

"Get ahold of yourself Conrad." I scolded the boy. A boy came up from behind me, checking up on her as well. "Can you?" I asked.

He nodded, holding her up. "Reign!" I yelled out to my brother who was already coming over. Jeremiah and Reign began to pull the two boys apart, ending the fight.

Blue lights began to fill my vision and I looked up noticing cops were coming.

I felt my hand being grabbed and pulled. I looked up, noticing Belly pulling me towards the car.

"What the hell was that?" I asked the girl. "It's a lot, I'll fill you in later. I promise." She said as we got to the car.

Jeremiah and Reign were trying to carefully put a drunk Conrad inside the car. I stood to the side as Belly and the boy she met began flirting.

"Oh shit, Steven!" I called out, running back to the beach to find my bestfriend. I saw him talking to Shayla and I called him over.

"We're leaving, come on!" I told him, dragging him off. "But-" He tried to argue.

"Steven, I'm serious." He groaned, letting me tug him to the car.

When we got back an officer was already by the car. "Fuck." I heard Steven mutter.

~

"Officers, thank you. It won't happen again, I promise you that much." Laurel told the cops that were by the door.

"Tell Mr.Fisher the chief wants to set up a tee time when he gets back in town."

"Absolutely. Sorry again for all the trouble." Laurel replied as the two officers left the house. "How could you guys be so irresponsible?" She scolded us.

"Mom, it wasn't a big deal. Seriously." Steven tried to calm her down.

"Not a big deal? I would say getting picked up by the cops for underage drinking is a big deal." She argued. Steven moved closer and sniffed before scoffing.

"Were you guys smoking tonight?" He asked his mother accusingly. "What? Keep your voice down, Susannah is asleep on the couch." She ignored the question.

"Just so you know Laurel, I wasn't drinking tonight. I was the DD." Jeremiah interrupted.

"You're the oldest, what the hell's gotten into you? And when did you leave the house without telling anybody and what the hell are you wearing?" She said, turning her attention to Conrad and Belly.

"It's Taylor's. And why am I the only one who's not allowed to go out?" Belly argued.

I shifted my feet feeling like I was intruding on a private conversation.

"It's not that you're not allowed, it's just that you should have told us you were going." Laurel answered back. "How did you even get there?" She questioned.

"I walked." "Jesus, you know better than to walk that far when it's dark out."

"Can you stop treating me like a kid?" Belly yelled.

"If you wanted to be treated like an adult then start acting like one." "Then, maybe you guys should too." My eyes widened as Conrad spoke up.

"What does that mean?" Laurel asked the boy who just shrugged.

"Reign and Brianna, I hope you two don't think you're out of this as well." I winced as Laurel acknowledged us.

"Just because your mother isn't here doesn't mean you two can do whatever you want. Susannah and I are responsible for your safety as well." We both nodded, looking down.

"I hope you all realized that this night could have ended a lot different if your family wasn't your family."

"We're sorry Laur." Jeremiah spoke up. "Just go to bed guys." We all turned and began to walk to our rooms. I couldn't wait for this night to be over.

~

I woke up to the sound of cheering in the kitchen.

I yawned, getting up and walking over to grab some breakfast. "There's my other little debutante!" Susannah grinned, walking over to hug me.

"Morning to you too." I laughed. "Look Belly are you sure you want to do this? It doesn't seem very you." Her mom asked her.

"It's not, sure it might be Bri's thing, but not Belly's." Conrad scoffed.

I frowned, pouring myself a bowl of cereal.

"Conrad can you at least try to be a little bit more supportive? Now which one of you guys is gonna be Belly's and Brianna's escort to the ball." Susannah smiled.

"Not me. I went last year." Conrad muttered. "Yeah, and I swore off balls." Jeremiah replied. "Wow, guys. Stop fighting over us." Belly laughed.

I finished my cereal, getting up to wash my dish. I walked passed the living room, bumping into Conrad.

"I'm going for a swim. Wanna join?" He whispered the last part. "I'm good. I don't think you want a sheep like me joining you, huh?" I glared at him, moving past him.

"Bri, I didn't mean it like that." He defended.

"Whatever." I mumbled. "Girls come on we have shopping to do." Susannah smirked. I turned to Belly smiling.

~

"I feel like we haven't talk in forever." Belly said bumping my shoulder as we walked alongside the shops.

"So much has been going on." I told the girl. "Like?" She asked.

"Jeremiah and I almost kissed the other night at the bonfire." I admitted. "Really?" She said a little too loud for comfort.

"Yes, now keep your voice down." I shushed her. "Who's that guy you were with though, he seemed cute." I teased. "Cameron. An old friend and I don't know I want to see where things go with him." She answered, immediately blushing.

I laughed as we followed Laurel and Susannah into a shop. We had already bought a few dresses and outfits, but now it was time to buy the dress for the ball.

"Oh okay, so I picked out two fascinators for you guys! Look around to see if you find a dress you like." Susannah informed us, walking away to give the two hats to the cashier.

It took awhile, but I finally found one I liked. It wasn't too simple, but still had an elegant appeal to it.

I loved it. Susannah insisted on paying for everything and we left the shop with countless of bags in hand.

~

"Thanks for dropping us off mom!"

"Thank you Laur." She waved at us before driving off. Belly and I were about to attend the first debutante gathering.

I was ecstatic. "We look amazing!" I cheered, clapping my hands together. "Do we? I couldn't tell." Belly laughed, following me as I walked towards the entrance.

I stopped in my tracks when I noticed Jeremiah walking with some towels.

My breath caught in my throat when I realized how good he looked in his lifeguard uniform.

"Hey! Jeremiah!" Belly called out to the boy.

word count: 1196
Thank you guys for reading!! Like always please leave a comment and/or vote, love you tons!!🤍