chapter twenty

"Goodmorning!" I heard a loud cheer. I groaned, placing the blanket over my head.

"No no no, we can not have you getting bed hair today." Susannah said softly, lifting the covers off my head.

"It's too early for this." I complained. "Aren't you excited for the deb ball?" She asked smiling, handing me a cup of orange juice. "Very. Can I just have five more minutes?" I asked her, taking a sip of the drink.

"You're already up, don't ruin it." She laughed, causing me to smile.

"What if I trip?" I cringed. "You won't, just hold on to Jeremiah's arm." She reassured me.

"He won't let you fall."

"I know." I agreed with the woman. "I still can't believe you got him to go with you, he swore up and down he'd never go to one of these things." Susannah told me.

"He said he doesn't mind." I blushed, looking down at my sheets. "He'd do anything for you." She pushed a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I love you so much, beautiful girl." She told me holding my hands to her chest. "I love you too." I smiled, giving her a brief hug.

"Also there is a surprise for you downstairs." She winked, before getting up and leaving.

"Surprise.." I mumbled to myself, standing up to follow her.

I walked downstairs and that was when I heard it. The most comforting voice on the planet. "Mom!" I yelled, running to give the woman a hug. "Sweetheart, oh how I missed you." She called back, pulling me into her embrace.

"You came, what about the exhibit?" I asked her confused. "It ended a few days early, thought I'd come surprise you for your big day." She smiled.

"I'm here too, you know?" Reign complained, making me roll my eyes.

"I'm here for you too Reign. I missed you both so much." She said pulling me into another hug. "Oh Bri, I was telling everyone. I brought some of the good muffins." I heard Conrad call from across the kitchen.

"Go." My mom whispered, pushing me to go eat. I walked over to the boy awkwardly, opening the box to grab a muffin.

"Bri I'm really sorry about the other day. I just- Belly wanted to win and..." Conrad started. "It's okay, we won. Water under the bridge." I reassured him, passing him one of the muffins from the box. "Thanks, have fun today by the way." He said pulling me into a side hug.

"You too." I grinned. "No hugs for me?" I heard Jeremiah pout.

I laughed, moving over to hug him as well. "Good morning beautiful." He whispered into my hair. "Morning." I replied, secretly placing a kiss to his cheek. "Ready for today?" He asked as we pulled away from the hug.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I sighed, the nerves finally getting to me.

"You'll do great, I'll be by your side the entire night." He promised, squeezing my hand lightly. I nodded, turning back to the group. "Alright girls, your dresses and shoes. Jeremiah can you put them in the car?" His mom asked, he nodded grabbing the things and walking out.

"You're gonna do amazing!" I heard my mom yell as I walked out of the house.

"I'll be right there, I'm just going to go to the restroom." Belly told me before running back inside. I saw Jere leaning against the car. "Don't be nervous. We're gonna be the best waltzers out there." He told me, brushing a piece of hair away from my face.

"No it's..it's not that." I sighed nervously. "What? You nervous about seeing the girls?" He asked concerned. "No, I mean, everyone must know what happened by now. They all probably hate me." I admitted, looking up to meet his gaze.

"Want me to come with? I can be your hairstylist slash bodyguard." He joked, trying to calm me down.

"No, you can't be in the greenroom. It's girls only." I giggled, pushing his shoulder lightly.

"Listen Bri, you've got this. I'll be right by your side the whole night. And if anyone gives you shit I will-" I cut him off. "You'll do what." I teased. "I'll be like yo thats not cool at all and I'll grab your hand and we'll dance away from everybody." He said, twirling me around.

He smiled, leaning down to kiss me. I wrapped my hands around his neck, pulling him closer.

"I'll see you at the club, drive safe." He said, before running back inside. I smiled to myself, it was then that Belly came running outside. "Let's do this thing!" She cheered, grabbing my hand as we got inside the car and drove off.

~

I saw Belly sit next to Nicole and now the only spot in the greenroom left was next to Gigi and Shayla.

"Hey Shay." I greeted the girl, she squealed, getting up to hug me when she saw that I arrived.

"Bri, hi! Here sit here, I can help you with your hair." Shayla told me, sitting me down. She began to grab a curling iron and started doing my hair.

"You don't have to Shay, you have to get ready too, don't you?" I chuckled, looking at the girl through the lighted mirror. "No don't worry, I'm practically already done. Plus it gives you time to start working on your makeup." She replied, continuing to do my hair.

I smiled, but it fell when I noticed Gigi looking at me through her mirror. "Bri." She greeted.

"Gigi." I replied, nodding to the girl. "You and Jeremiah, huh?" She asked, putting some final touches on her makeup.

"I'm really sorry Gigi, it just happened. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings." I told her sincerely. "I know. I'm sorry too, even though I liked him, I shouldn't have done what I did." She sighed, turning to meet my gaze.

"Truce?" She asked holding her hand out. "Truce." I replied, grabbing her hand and shaking it.

She smiled, getting up out of her seat, I'm guessing to change.

"What happened there?" Shayla asked confused. "I'll fill you in later, it's a very long story." I groaned, grabbing my makeup bag and began doing my makeup.

~

I stared at myself in the mirror one last time before getting up to grab a boutique of roses.

"You look gorgeous, time to go meet your shining knight in armor." Shayla whispered as we walked out to get in line.

I was second to last in line, right in back of Belly.

I felt my hands to start to shake when Belly was next and began to walk to Conrad.

I turned my head to see Jeremiah smiling at me from across the stage.

I immediately calmed down, taking a deep breath in and out. "Let's do this." The boy mouthed, making me laugh quietly. "Brianna Adler..." I nodded, taking a step to start walking towards the center.

Let's do this.

word count: 1185
Thank you guys sm for reading! Wow 3k already that's crazy! Don't forget to leave a vote/comment!🤍