Assistant (Poe x y/n)

Literature was something you loved with all your soul. It was something that let your mind free and wander around to fantasies that you found in the books. You were in the last semester of your undergraduate degree, majoring in Literature. The last month found you searching for internship positions in publishing companies. It wasn't hard to land a few interviews around various publishing houses in New York, nonetheless, it was a tough competition. You really hoped that the recommendation letters from your professors will aid you a little, otherwise, it's up to you not to mess up in the interviews.

'Ugh people, they just make me crawl in my skin. I'm nervous as hell.' Your thoughts bordered on the same thing the whole time, breathing slowly you took your seat and waited for your turn. The time seemed to move too fast to your liking, and soon it was your turn and the nerves made you jittery. Approaching the room, you took a deep breath and unlocked the door in the hope of doing your best.

The interview went smoothly, you answered their questions wittily and on to the point without hesitation, and your confidence made them give you the internship position on the spot. You were supposed to be a proofreader for one of their popular mystery writers, but you didn't know the author yet, you both will be introduced on your first day of work. Now the only thing you've to worry about is thinking of the final draft of your dissertation. Horror and mystery were your favourite genre, so you were quite happy with the internship. Plus with a famous writer at that! It excited you to no bounds.

-first day at work-

Monday, the most annoying day of the week probably, but nonetheless you were excited. You'll be starting your job today and you'll get to meet this mysterious mystery writer finally! You put on an appropriate work outfit (a/n: insert your choice), stop by Starbucks to get your favourite coffee and take the subway to reach your destination. After 20 minutes you stood in front of a huge building, glass windows reflecting the sunlight making you unable to gaze at it for too long. Breathing out you made your way inside towards the reception desk. "Good morning, I'm Y/n L/n, I'm starting my internship position here from today onwards, could you help me please?" You politely asked the receptionist. She looked up at you with a smile, "Yes, Mr Sullivan is waiting for you on the 10th floor. Take the elevator to your right. When you reach the 10th turn to your right, the glass-doored office is your location." She said to you. You quickly thanked her and made your way towards the elevator.

When the door was closing you heard someone shout, "W-wait! Please hold the door!" A tall man whisper and shouted towards you. You placed your purse in between the door to keep it open. The man ran inside, hunched down breathing heavily, "T-thank you so much." He muttered to you. You smiled and nodded at him. Suddenly a furry sensation on your leg made you jump, looking down you saw a raccoon holding your left leg. You squealed, "Oh my goodness there's a wild animal in here!" "Oh, Karl! There you are!" The man beside you exclaimed. 'Karl? Did he just call the raccoon Karl?' You stared at him astonished. "I apologise, this is my friend Karl. He meant no harm to you." You nodded and looked at Karl, he was adorable, you thought.

Soon the elevator reached the floor and you turned right towards the office, you noticed the man following your direction as well. You knocked on the office door and you heard a faint 'come in' from inside. The office was spacious and tastefully decorated with modern furnishings. You noticed Mr Sullivan on the desk typing something on his laptop, "Good morning Mr Sullivan, I'm y/n l/n." He looked up at you and then grinned softly, "Ah Miss L/n! Welcome to Sullivan Publishing Corp! Ah, I see you already met your author!" Turning around you saw the man from the elevator standing behind you and looking at you sheepishly. He waved at you awkwardly. "Anyways let's introduce each other! I'm Sullivan, your author here is Edgar, Edgar Allan Poe, and Mr. Poe, this is your new proofreader and assistant, Miss Y/n L/n. I hope to see you both get along well!" Mr. Sullivan said.