Masquerade (Fyodor x y/n)

In the 18th century Vaskarnovia, the crowning of the next Tsar was a matter of utmost importance, be it the royal family, their servants, or even the commoners gathered around the street corners, engaged in lively chatter over the coronation ceremony.

You were working away in your little workspace, brewing tonics and various other herbal medicines that were prescribed to your patients. You worked as a doctor in the town, and today was one of the slow days, you had a few patients in the morning, and now you were brewing their medicines for delivery. Suddenly the knock on your front door caught your attention. You were;t expecting any more patients for today, so naturally you wondered who it might be. Wiping your hands on your apron, you made your way towards the door, opening it to reveal the royal guards standing there with a rolled parchment in their hands.

One of the guards bowed to you, "Doctor L/N, we are here to deliver your invitation for the crowning ceremony of our new Tsar. Everyone in the kingdom is invited." Saying it, he handed you the rolled parchment tied with the finest silk ribbon. You bowed to them politely and thanked them for the invitation. You were surprised to hear that the commoners were invited to the ceremony as well, it wasn't unheard of, but it did manage to make you surprised despite it. Walking towards your apothecary table, you took a seat on the wooden chair, softly brushing your hands over the ribbon, before opening it in one swift movement. You were met with beautiful cursive handwriting flowing swiftly all over the paper. Raking your eyes from top to bottom you were even more surprised to find that it was a masquerade ball. 'Wouldn't it be weird to see the face of the Tsar for the first time behind a mask?' you questioned to yourself. You shrugged it off as you'll accept the invite out of formality as the royal family knew you due to treating them often when required.

Sighing you went back to brewing the remaining potions. You suddenly remember that you do not have any 'proper' attire to wear for the ceremony tonight, you certainly cannot wear something that you wear daily. Even if you were a commoner you have appearances to maintain. Discarding your apron and fixing your hair to look presentable you made your way towards the seamstress's shop to see what she has in stock for you. "Hey miss Yosano! I'm here for a dress for tonight's ball. Do you have anything for me?" You called out to the seamstress. A woman in her mid-twenties, with her short hair neatly arranged, appeared from the storage room with a bright smile on her face. "Y/N! I'm glad to hear that you'll be going to the ball!" She replied cheerfully. You pouted a little, "You know I've no choice but to go. They know me and if I don't make it, who knows the new Tsar may want my head." You said and rolled your eyes dramatically. She chuckled watching your childish behaviour. "I think I have something perfect for you Y/N, wait here I'll bring it out."

After a few minutes, she walked out with a ball gown and a matching mask. You gasped when you noticed the dress, it was intricate in detail, and every pattern was sewn with the utmost care. The mask itself was stunning to look at with its hand-crafted detailing and the thin bead strings accentuating it. You shook your head in disbelief, "I don't think I can afford it miss Yosano! It's too expensive for me." You stated with a sad frown visible on your face. You loved the dress, but you know your limits. Yosano chuckled and made her way towards you, "This dress was designed for someone but they didn't have any use of it afterwards, so it has been sitting here for quite a long time. This is yours, you can pay what you can afford, consider it a friendly favour! Oh, you can always make me tonics for free!" She giggled after saying it. You gasped hearing her. That was indeed doable but you were still doubting whether you should take it or not. A common doctor doesn't need to dress up so fancy. Yosano could see the gears running in your head, she sighed and stuffed the attire in your hands, "Take it! I swear it'll look good on you, after all, I sewed it myself!" You were gaping at her, but then nodded and accepted it. You made your way back to your home after paying Yosano and handing her a pain-relieving tonic that you knew she needed after spending so long on the sewing machine.