Chapter 7 - New Life?

(A/N): Thanks for your undying support! Short filler chapter for now, going to college soon, so that has been taking up some of my free time! Hope you understand.

*** ***** ***

"Y-You remember me?"

Without much concern for your current state of health, Seraphine socks you in your shoulder, shooting painful shocks throughout your nervous system. You wince and hold onto your escaping soul for dear life, relaxing the rest of your muscles as the pain begins to die down.

"O-Of course..."

You heave out another cough as Seraphine gasps in horror, clearly regretting her sudden antics. Her hand rests along the newfound soreness at the spot, lightly massaging the area she had so wonderfully created.

"O-Oh god! I'm so sorry," her face droops in embarrassment. "I-I didn't think you remembered anything. You were in a coma for weeks!"

You quietly place a hand on the wrist she had been using to massage your sore spot, stopping her circular motions.

"It's fine..."

Seraphine's exasperated sigh of relief releases the dipping atmosphere between the two of you. After all, it wasn't entirely her fault that you ended up in a hospital ward and had been in a coma for the past few weeks.

A quiet muttering could be heard from your right ear, raising your attention to the doctor, who had been whispering to his nursing assistant. He turns back to you. "(Y/N)."

You pause, awaiting more words yet to no avail.

"Uh, yes?" you finally answer.

The doctor, showing a tinge of concern in his eyes, hands you the clipboard that he held. On it, you can only barely make out the words through the small typed font and the scribbles and markups on the margins. He points to a section titled "Notes"

"First, I'd like to test your cognition and reading. While our tests confirmed that you hadn't suffered long-lasting cognitive or reading impairments, it's always good to get a sanity check on our work from the patient themselves."

Glancing down at the clipboard, you don't commit much attention to the words but find yourself fortunate that you could still understand the basis of the diagnoses and notes. You give the doctor a nod in understanding and affirmation.

"Second, I want you to assess your mind through a mental health check. I'm to believe that the scarring and deep wounding of your right arm hadn't come out of the blue, correct? There are some underlying causes, the most common of which are cases of depression, suicidal thoughts and tendencies, anxiety-induced stress, etc. Care to comment on that or at least confirm my hypothesis?"

For a second, you stay in a still silence. He was not necessarily wrong - after all, you could attribute all of your self-harm actions to your perceived depression. Obviously, it was more difficult to speak aloud than to simply ignore the question, but who were you going to fool?

"I-I guess..."

The doctor jerks his head and gives you a compassionate nod.

"Millions of people struggle with mental health. A few years ago, we wouldn't even consider mental health as a proper field of study - many would say that if you were struggling with your mental health, you were just too weak for the realness of life. Events happen out of someone's control that can affect their mental health, and we've come to fully accept all these nuances and circumstances to bridge the health gap between mental and physical health. It's always good to find acceptance towards the matter and begin treating it before it's too late."