Chapter Fourteen: "I'm sorry, but I can't"

February 14, 2020

Mari's POV

It has almost been a month since I was rushed to the hospital after I fainted during my fight with Annie. The doctors diagnosed me with "Broken Heart Syndrome," which I thought was a joke at first but is actually a real thing. So, they admitted me for further observations for about two weeks, then sent me home with strict health instructions.

Annie has been so hands-on in taking care of me. Naks! Wife material talaga tong girlfriend ko kaya ito na totohanin ko na talaga. Today's Valentine's day, and I've decided that today is the most perfect day to ask the love of life to be my wife.

Since I was running out of time to prepare, I was not able to talk to Paulina about my plan kasi nga biglaan and I was so excited. I just woke up yesterday and went to the mall to buy a ring for Annie because I can't wait to start my forever with her. I'm sure maiintindihan naman ni Paulina yun. And besides, I want to surprise her with the news of how Annie said "yes" I'm sure she's gonna be so excited.

"Love, asan ka po?" I called out to her as I found my way to our living room. Asan ba kasi yun... Hmmmmm, baka nagtatago sa kung saang sulok dito sa condo para hindi ko makita yung surprise niya.

"Loveeeeeeeeee! Asan ka ba? I'm hungry na. Let's eat breakfast na please." I called out again, but still, I could not find Annie anywhere.

I decided to sit at our dining table and took out my phone to call her. Baka naman lumabas saglit para bumili ng food or something.

Phone ringing

"Hello?" an unfamiliar voice answered. I decided to look at my phone kasi baka ibang number yung na dial ko but I was not mistaken, number ni Annie yung tinawagan ko.

"Hello, si Mari ito, sino ito at bakit hawak mo yung cellphone ng girlfriend ko?" I asked while composing myself. I'm sure Annie won't cheat on me. Baka nahulog yung phone niya sa labas at itong babae na ito ang nakapulot.

"She's mine now." the woman replied and dropped the call.

"She's mine now."
"She's mine now."
"She's mine now."

The woman's words kept echoing in my mind. I was already crying. Did Annie really cheated on me? Baka napagod na siya kaka-alaga sa akin kaya siya naghanap ng iba. Baka nagsawa na siyang mahalin ako kasi nga ang sakitin ko. Baka nga totoo yung sinabi niya during our fight na napapagod na siya at pinilit niya lang mag stay kasi nakokonsensya siya dahil na-ospital ako.

I was so clouded by my thoughts and emotions na hindi ko namalayan nakatulog ako sa sahig sa sobrang pagod sa pag-iyak. I was awakened by our door bell so I tried to stand up and buksan yung pinto kahit medyo nahihilo ako.

"Hi, Pangga! I'm really sorry ngayon lang ako naka balik. Bumili kasi ako ng Valentine's gift para sa yo. Eto oh, binili ko yung favorite chocolates mo and of course, pink roses for my love. Happy Valentine's Day!" Annie was in front of me, carrying a paper bag filled with chocolates and a bouquet of roses. She was wearing her bright smile that I love so much.

Was everything that happened earlier a dream? Eh bakit ako nasa sahig? Nagugulohan ako kaya tinanong ko siya ng diretsyahan.

"Love, where's your phone? I called you earlier kasi and---" I started but she immediately cut me off by kissing me. I was shocked but then, I was not complaining because I really do miss kissing Annie.

"Ahhh, yes. I think naiwan ko sa office yung phone ko, Pangga. Dumaan kasi ako du'n kanina, sorry." She said pero hindi siya nakatingin sa akin. Dumiretso nalang siya sa kitchen and got busy with the pans.