Chapter 7 - Rain

Ayane

I inhale the air of winter's gelidity, precluding the burn down my throat and in my chest. I'm starting to dread this season.

The other two traveling companions of mine, both saviors of my being at a time, are enjoying it little too much. They are sparring with backs bare and unveiling the scars that litter the expanse of their skin.

The king's skin is paler, less marked, but still tells a story of all his conquests and battles. A particular scar that snakes around his torso, the lines jagged and black as they spread like lightning on his back, that captivates me. I wonder what tale is behind that mark of his.

The dragon shifter, as they collectively explained his abilities to me when healing my arm two mornings prior, has more markings from his unique composition than mementos from his journeys. Red scales that rest on his shoulders and travel down his spine sparkle in the sun, glinting gold whenever he activates his magical shield. And horns, sharp and a dark tawny hue spike upwards from his red spiky hair with a single curve towards the center.

It baffles me that the dragon known to instill great fear in the lands is one of the kindest souls I have ever had the honor of meeting. Kirigaya as the king calls him. When I called him the same, the king snapped, demanding me to call his commander by his title. His highness did not take my rejection to his command well.

It is when Kirigaya nearly punches the king in the face during their friendly bout that I smell the charged clouds far from my eyes' view. My hair on nape stands as I feel the winds change course, feel them drift differently than moments ago.

I stand up, hissing when my arm screams for me to be more gentle. The sound is enough for both Kirigaya and the king to halt in their motion and turn to me.

"What is it?" The king asks, his expression indecipherable. The impassivity he exudes only forges anger in my chest.

"A storm is coming," I say, stepping forward and pointing to the peak only a mere stroll from here. "We can take shelter in a cave up that cliff, I'd seen it during my hunt two mornings ago. The journey will take us four bamboo clicks."

The king, the walking vulgarity of a man, cackles, slapping Kirigaya on the shoulder. "You hear the peasant, Kirigaya?!"

"I heard her, my liege."

"She wants shelter."

Kirigaya smiles apologetically and the fire burns to my tongue.

They continue their spar without another thought, throwing limbs and heaving breaths as the winds pick up harsher, the trees dangerously sway and the sky grows darker.

With every punch and every kick the fire freezes into something more angering I've experienced.

I've held my tongue long enough, my fear for either man has diminished as well. They really are just boys daring the world with only their pride on the line.

In anger, I stomp my way between them, kicking Kirigaya in his chest and grabbing an arm before he can stumble. Then with the momentum in my navel, I flip him over my head, my healing arm tingling from the strain.

Kirigaya coughs, gawking up at me with wide eyes. The king glares daggers, his shoulders tense, his mouth agape in shock, and the mirthful glint in his eyes is replaced by something more cynical

"You are welcome to be soaked to the bone and go ill." I seethe. "I for one, am heading to the cave just north of peak there. If you wish to join, you are welcome to." I turn around before either can respond only to halt two steps forward, turning my head so my eyes can meet the king's crimson flamed ones.