Chapter 21 - Trust is Fragile Like Glass

Kousuke

The castle seems too bare for my liking. The knights are scarce in the halls as I pass them with a furious gait. I most tiresome nights, I'd sneak to my quarters from the paths. In most nights.

But tonight is not like most nights. Not with the crow flying in my lands. I have never seen one fly the skies under my protection. Never.

So I must confront the one person I know who can deliver an explanation. And yet, such a confrontation must be held with caution and preparation. I must secure my own safety, for my kingdom relies on my leading for them to survive.

I continue my journey through the fire lit stone walls, glancing through the windows with a terrible instinct clawing in my navel.

War is coming. I simply know it. I can taste it with every breath and feel it vibrate through my limbs with every strong stride. And despite my heart ripping itself from a suspicion I wish not to hold true, I know Ayane will be the cause. I simply know it.

I turn the final bend to my quarters. And as always, my quarters have no attendees nor guards. I prefer my privacy and that is what I have ordered despite the customs to keep two men near at all times. Then, I halt at the double door gates. I rest my hands on the wood, inhaling a sharp yet deep breath before shoving the doors open wide.

As I knew the war oncoming, I too knew that Ayane, my beautiful Suisen, would be waiting for me here. She is draped in pure white cotton, her locks of auburn somehow shining as though she rested the sun's power within her. She turns from the sound of the oak wood creaking, her hair and dress swaying with her.

The first thing that strikes me is the way her eyes glow before me. The second is the rouge staining her cheeks in splotches of uneven color. The third is the dismal frown she wears as she sees me.

She is about to rip my soul from me. I simply know it.

And yet, when I see her so distraught, my heart simply melts for her. I wish to rid of the reason her eyes pool tears, and desire to hold her close. Oh, how I wish I could forget my duties and run away with neither knowledge of her truths and live in blissful ignorance.

Oh what a wish that is.

"Kou," She whispers, reaching for me with her quivering hands.

By the might of Ryujin, I somehow hold myself together and reach for her too. Maybe all my instincts are faulty this one time. Maybe I am being swayed by Sir Mori's slanders too easily. Maybe all my suspicion is all a grave mistake. Maybe. Maybe.

"Aya," I say, pulling her towards me. "What troubles you?"

She shudders a breath, her eyes darting away from my gaze.

Please do not break my trust, I beg in my mind, please Suisen.

When she finally meets my eyes, she finally says those words I've been both waiting and dreading for.

"I have something I must tell you."

I search her expression, the sincerity convincing me of every true thing in this world. Whatever she tells me at this moment, I'd believe. I'd believe her, no question.

I hold her hand to my heart, cup my other on her cheek and glide my thumb across the constellation of her freckles.

"What-"

The horns of war echo in the castle walls. Her quiver halts. And fury bursts in my chest.

Then the doors are pushed open with Zuko shuddering from out his skin and bones standing at the entrance.