Chapter 10 - Be My Cheerleader

Sorry for such a late update, a lot of stuff happened in December (both with family and personally) and I finally got back in the groove of writing. I also worked on some art and more world building so hope you all enjoy the bonus figures coming up in future chapters. 

Below is the map of the fantasy AU flashback world; specifically only the Northern Kingdoms. The whole world map will be revealed later in the story when it is relevant.

 The whole world map will be revealed later in the story when it is relevant

***

Ayane

The king has ordered I accompany him for the whole week. He says it was to ensure I am trustworthy to remain in his lands. Kirigaya reassured me it is simply his way of gaining my trust.

I do not know which is true. It could be that both of us are in need of building a bridge for honesty to be easily received. Nonetheless, I know I will not be sharing my true identity with this vulgar man anytime soon.

If he knew, I would be sent back home before the sun rises the next day.

Two suns have risen since we have landed in his castle. I am given private quarters of my own, one attendant by my side, and a friend. The quarters are the epitome of the forest; vined curtains, steady and carved wood furniture, satin and velvet cloth that resembles the flowers and lakes we passed on our journey.

My attendant is a witch by the name of Oriko Iruka; she has short twine like hair, eyes the color of honey, and cheeks dusted rouge like the king's cowl. Her voice is soft and her touch is gentle as her entire being oozes with kindness and grace. I've only seen her snap in anger once, and that was reprimanding the king. And that too for using an extensive amount of potions which taxed his muscles and bones.

The friend is the only other dragon shifter to be alive. Commander Manami Ashida. Kirigaya's betrothed. However, her scales are a bright magenta, the color of nebulas in the night sky, and contrast against her soft rose pink complexion. While her eyes are inky voids with golden suns in the center, and her horns are ivory, peeking from her soft pink candy floss hair.

She took me to the skies, right beside the king on Kirigaya, showing me the new kingdom shrouded from the fog of Ryu Zukotsu lake. The markets and the towns are lively here, all the bright glowing magic meshing together, blanketing one in warmth and security of an open minded society. People of all colors, species I have never encountered, animals I thought were just echoes of tall tales and myths live in harmony here.

It saddens me that my home has nothing near the unity I see in and around the wooden fortress of the Okuninushi Kingdom.

At least the unity in the tribal towns outside the citadel of the fort. Within his home's walls, there still are a few disagreeable individuals.

One being Noritaka Mori. A blond, lavender eyed soldier who detests my presence. Whilst the majority of the king's men and women of his army duel in the training yard just northeast of the fort, three squadrons are placed within its walls. And this Sir Noritaka is in one of these elite squadrons.