Chapter 15 - To Be Instated

Kousuke

The wind whistles in the throne room from the large terrace the dragons always perch on. The winter has gone warmer, the snow melting away every morning from how harsher the sun gets. It fuels my magic and strengthens both Ashida's and Kirigaya's scales.

We shall be ready if any attack from the Northern Kingdoms ensues in the following season.

From the information the scouts have given, it is obvious both nations are preparing for war. Either amongst themselves or they have finally found the courage to come face us after ridding of the trade routes we maintained for centuries.

I sit lazily on my throne, lay my hands in the dips on the arms and splay my legs into my cape. Today taxed me. The conversation with Master Shosei was daunting. The training that followed to help quell my unease and showcase my sentiments was equally cumbersome. She caught on the technique well enough.

I, however, was too distracted with her bosom pressed against my chest when she finally disarmed me. And the mortifying sound I let loose when she pinned me down is still haunting me.

She is strong. I could feel it in how her grip tightened around my wrists and how her knee dug in my sternum. She is also well taught. Her technique is distinct to Haniyasu's guard. Her poise and the way she chose to carry herself after her win oozed prestige.

To think I once thought of her to be a damsel in distress. I should've known that even the mightiest fall against mother nature--especially from ice and snow. That is how my grandfather fell from the throne; he grew ill from the cold when a rare blizzard swept through the land.

However, that was besides the point. All these details--her strength, her visage, her manner--only further prove Master Shosei's doubt to be reasonable.

I dig my nails into the hands of my throne. I am one to always follow my heart and my instinct. My thoughts follow along the journey I forge.

Yet, my thoughts have overcome above all else when it came to Ayane Ishiyama.

What a pitiful position I have brought on to myself.

The knock against the throne room's gates echo, pulling me from my thoughts. My herald, Shinya Hidetaka enters with his simple black outfit and cape.

"Master Shosei Aiyama of the Royal Court." He announces, retreating back outside when I give him a wave of the hand and an agreeing nod.

Master Shosei walks in shortly, bowing and clearing his throat when I tell him to be at ease.

"What is it?"

"Miss Ayane is trustworthy, your majesty. From the background check I've commenced it is apparent she faced similar challenges as I had."

"What challenges?"

He stands unmoving, near petrified at the question. I never knew the circumstances of his past before seeking refuge in our lands. The late queen, my mother, was the last person to know of his true identity in this kingdom and she was the one who granted him his position as my master.

One could say the secret of his true name and heritage died with her.

And I know that Ayane may have not told him her true name either; anyone starting fresh would hide their identity. There is a risk in keeping her so close to the royal court. I know.

Nonetheless, I trust my instinct when it comes to understanding people from all walks of life. She's more than just a dame running from home. She's a warrior fighting for her freedom, and a diplomat to survive in the politics of the palace. With how she dealt with the soldiers and one of the lord's outward distaste proved as much.