Chapter 14 - Hero Names

Kousuke

Despite the cool shade of sea green, the dame's eyes are fire when she wields a blade. It is mesmerizing to witness. Her stance, the way she glides between two soldiers, every step calculated and every breath bated with intention.

If she was not so stubborn to stay ten feet away from me whenever I entered the same room, I might have already confessed my affections to her. I wonder what keeps her from getting closer. I wonder what provokes her to keep her distance.

Must I change my ways even more? I already have shown reluctant kindness to the elderly folk and played with the orphans in my protection. Must I make a spectacle of it for her to see me as approachable? I have already befriended most of my army; even came to an understanding with that wretched Sir Mori. Must I show my trust to her? I have already allowed Manami to take her out on her patrols, practically showing her all of my kingdom's lands through them.

What must I do to show how much of a hold she has on me?

She twirls, stealing one man's sword and disarming the other. Another twirl and she kisses her blades against their necks.

She wins again. Six matches in one day and not one has her admit defeat.

Oh high goddess of the dragons, have mercy on my heart.

I clench a fist on my chest. She is too enticing to ignore.

I want to be with her. I want her by my side.

How can I convince her that we would be a good match? How can I prove to my court that she is worthy of being queen?

"She is talented."

I jump in my skin, whipping my head to the voice coming from my flank.

My mentor for the past ten years, Shosei Aiyama, stands behind my in his black cloak and single eyepatch, his medium length hair tangled in a half bun.

"Master Shosei." I grumble. "It is unlike you to come unannounced."

"I did not wish to disturb you. You seemed... captivated." He hums, stepping beside me while training his gaze on her frame as she takes a gulp from her flask. "I did not believe Commander Kirigaya's speculation of your affections at first."

"And now you do?"

"After you started exhibiting your rare kindness more openly with your people, I started to doubt myself. And after seeing the flush on your cheeks as she battles your army, I can now say with certainty you do hold her dear to your heart."

There is kindness in his eye but also some cautioning glint in it.

"You do not approve of her." I read from the line creasing between her brows.

"On the contrary. I believe she should be given formal training. To deprive your army of such a valuable asset would be foolish."

"She is a person. Do not speak of her as an object." I snarl. "If she is interested, only then she will join."

"Prior to your meeting with her, you would have agreed to my proposal." He chuckles and it grates on my skin. "I suppose she'll be good for you after all."

Heat blooms up my neck, face, and ears. Usually it is from anger, but at the moment, it is from ludicrous shame. From the smirk Master Shosei has, I must be as red as Kirigaya's scales.

"I do not need your acquiescence for my relation with her. I will convince my court in whatever way necessary."

Master Shosei huffs a breath; from the corner of my eye I see him cross his arms over his chest with a rigid guard, the midday light casting shadows across his scarred face.