Chapter 18 - My Suisen, My 'Tsuki

Kousuke

Our affair is a secret kept within the walls.

In the day, we pretend our relation has not changed in the public's eye, staying our distance and only touching when battling in the grounds as I stay with the royal guard.

There are moments when I know we both veer to each other. When our pinkies reach for each other; when our eyes linger a bit longer; the way I deliberately touch the skin of her neck in a spar, and she brushes her breath on my ear.

The longing is agonizing. The teasing has me wrapped in scalding coals. By the high goddess of dragons, I swear I might be burned by my heart alone.

However, the moment no one's eyes are there to witness our allure, I cannot resist the pull she has on me.

Instead of pinkies reaching, it's our arms embracing; instead of eyes lingering, it's our lips meeting; instead of bare touches on her neck, I can feel the dip of her waist; instead of her breath brushing my ear, I inhale her call of my name with every vow pouring from my soul.

In the cover of night, we go from King and Knight to Kou and Aya. We sneak within the walls and into the paths, with dragonfire lighting our path. And with her hand laced in mine, I learn more of her as she learns more of me.

I learn of her every tell, of her every sound's meaning, of her every look's signal. I learn her until I know her like I know my soul. And soon, I brought her to my quarters, letting her rest under my covers every night.

And it is in the morning that she tells me more of her past.

She's grown in a castle just as I have. However, instead of wood and stone holding the walls, Haniyasu's castle is made of brick and mortar. Instead of magic coloring the winds, it's the endless greens covering the valley.

And then she tells me of her purpose in these lands. The heir has sent her with a task: to seek an alliance to stand against Godai. For Godai plans to usurp Haniyasu and officiate their ambitions as an empire.

"I will not let that happen," I say, tucking a strand of her beautiful auburn hair behind her ear, as she lays beside me. "King Enjiro has disgraced the mystics with his greed. He must be stopped before it is too late."

"His son worries me more," she shudders. When I reach for her hand, I realize they've gone as cold as ice. "He's the one who pushed their ambitions to the west."

"Do not worry," I say, "The future queen need not worry. If you say she never agreed to the halting of our trade I'm willing to forgive our past and start anew."

She exhales sharply, peering through her lashes. "Even if there is truth yet to be revealed?"

"I do not care for any hidden truths. They always reveal themselves when the time is opportune. I only cannot forgive the dishonest."

"Even if it is I?"

I search her gaze. She still is hiding something grave. I know it. But I will not assume the worst. I know deep within that whatever she hides, it is for her kingdom. She means no ill will.

Still, I must tell her these supposed instances.

Therefore, with a hardened gaze I say, "Especially if it is you."

Something dims in her gaze. I cannot tell if what I said hurt her or if it solidified something in her mind. All I know is that I will not endure her fallen expression.

So I hold her cheek with the hand I tucked her hair, "Only with good reason will I not forgive, Aya."

She leans forward, kissing me with tenderness. Her lips are soft and the press is a delicate telling of her affection.