Chapter 24 - Anger

Kousuke

The air is tight as my esteemed generals file into the war room.

My anger is apparent—electric like General Kami's magic. Even he stands in silence, forgoing his usual snark with his bright sunflower yellow hair and mirthful gold irises. He stands on my left while Kirigaya stands on my right, both subtly gesturing to the rest to keep their peace.

They are true in their concern. For my wrath that I may incur could prove to be disastrous.

Anyone would be as distraught and internally mangled after such a betrayal I have faced. To think I trusted my heart to such a fickle woman.

When the last general stands on their designated spot, I crackle my palms and light the chandelier above our heads. It is the signal of war oncoming—a warning that many of us may greet death in the few days forward.

"The North has declared war on us," I bite, my fists clenched with my knuckles stretched white, and my power surging under my skin. "We've waited ten winters for such a chance of revenge. We shall not let such an opportunity escape us."

They all nod with a single jerk of their heads. Our rage is unanimous. It is obvious from the glow of all our mystics merging into a colorful spectacle—as though the auroras from Okami Kingdom's skies at night. It would have been a stunning sight if not for the anger that fuels it.

"What is our objective?" Kirigaya asks.

"We shall first establish an alliance with Daikokotsu."

"Are they not a neutral power?" Kami ponders.

"They are," Zuko says, entering the meeting from his hidden quarters. He looks ever-menacing emerging from the shadows in his darkened garb. It is ever peculiar. "However, Daikokotsu will not stay neutral any longer. Not with the threat Godai Empire would pose."

"Since when was Godai established an Empire?" General Kiyoko asks, her dark purple hair glowing red from the influx of my power lighting the room.

The announcement has not been made in my kingdom yet. The development only happened four gems ago.

Zuko meets my eye, and he nods in understanding. For all the trouble I gave him in our youth, he truly is a godsend for speaking hard truths with poise.

"Since the courtship of Crown Prince Todokoro and Crown Princess Yamasaki was announced alongside the declaration of war," he says.

The generals all gasp, their mystics flickering like candle flames in the rain.

"From where shall we attack first?" General Seto asks, his bulky frame bulging out of his white armor, the amulet of sugars glowing with a silver hue in the center of his chest.

I place three of our flags on the map, all circling a mountain just between Enkei River and the Neutral Woodlands.

"We shall set our camps on these lands. Resources are most abundant here outside Haniyasu's Kingdom."

Kiyoko hums, "Is that not too risky of a place to establish a stronghold? We are greatly exposed?"

Kirigaya smirks and I cannot help the grin that pulls at my lips.

"They shall be used as decoys for our stronghold within the mountain. In our recent hunt we discovered a tunnel system within the range."

"A tunnel system?"

"I suspect it was formerly used to reach the mines in the olden days," Zuko says "Still, I cannot be sure until I see it for myself."

"It is imperative we gain Daikokotsu's alliance then," Seto surmises.