Chapter 20 - Lies

Kousuke

It quickly became apparent that war was soon coming to our lands.

The late queen, my ferocious beast of a mother, told me we Bakugans have the sense to feel battle come closer quicker than most bloodlines. The secret came from centuries of passing down instinct from reading the winds, the skies, the sun and stars.

I could not tell my people if they ever asked how I knew. I just do.

Like how anyone knows they feel hungry or tired, I feel the urge for a fight. I feel the twist of my gut warn of enemies on every turn. And they are dangerously close.

So close that I can sense they have already entered my lands.

Simply imagine the antipathy when my least liked soldier bear out my suspicions of conspiracy within my walls.

Sir Mori, the man with an ego large enough to fill Lake Ryu Zukotsu, and a battle instinct that rivals Kirigaya when he's out of his dragon skin, is the man I least expected to bring crucial information.

He barges in my throne room in this cool twilight just after sun down. The winds blow his usually ruly blond locks into haphazard waves, his violet irises framed with darkened bags and widened in shock.

"Majesty," he heaves, "I must request to grace your presence. Alone."

I eye Kirigaya on my left who has been discussing a new formation in case the Northern Kingdoms unite to face against us Mystics in the south. Kirigaya seems to acknowledge the fear in Sir Mori's rattled frame and takes his leave with a curt bow.

When the doors close with a boom, I step down and stand in front of the knight. He stands straighter, swallowing heavily as though his throat housed a heavy stone filled with burden.

"Speak."

He exhales through his nose, nostrils flaring as he glances left to the walls and then right to the balcony.

"Your majesty, I sincerely do not believe Lady Ishiyama is worthy of our trust."

I clench my jaw.

Not a soul in these walls is aware of my affections for Ayane except her and I. There are suspicions and rumors of our times in the garden. Still, no one could sustain such hearsay. I made sure of it by keeping our meetings within our paths.

So I must remind myself that Sir Mori simply suspects things I know not to be true. She earned my trust when she gave me heart as I gave her mine.

"Tell me Sir Mori, are you saying I miscalculated when I enlisted her in the royal guard?"

He scowls and I narrow my eyes. "That is not why I suspect her, my liege. Even I admit her skill is above many of our men."

"Then pray tell me what makes you say as such."

"I saw Lady Ishiyama enter a hidden passage in the library with Master Shosei. It was hidden behind a bookcase far in the corner of the mystics section."

I swear on our patron goddess, my heart stops as the words settle in my ear.

She knew I never told anyone else but her of the paths. That those paths are our secret to hide our truths from the kingdom and the court until the time comes.

And she shares that with an old sap who never was acquainted with her? There was no sense in the scenario at all.

But first, I need to make one thing clear to the curious knight in front of me.