Chapter 17 - No One Else Fits

Katsuki

Seeing stupid Tangerine (stupidly beautiful Yumi) every single day the past week is strangling me alive- tightening a noose around my neck.

Every time she walks past me and her shitty flower perfume lingers in the air, I feel the noose tighten.

When she smiles, even if sarcastically, the noose tightens more.

If I hear her shitty laugh- feel her speeding pulse when we spar- notice how she stupidly hums when she's going over notes- see how her body faces me in the room, the lingering pink on her cheeks when I catch her staring at me- every time, the noose tightens.

It should be impossible to breathe at this point. These shitty feelings are no help.

Yeah, I know. No point in denying the stupid fact of the universe.

Our souls, thanks to our shitty past lives, crave each other.

It's stupid. It's the effin' truth.

Back to the noose tightening. It's been continuously, torturously, tightening. And now, while we patrol down the road, I can't help but feel my incompetence at an all time high.

She's shown her strength in the spars; even if she hasn't beaten me, she's beaten plenty of Denim Head's extras (sidekicks). Just a few moments ago, she showed her affinity with handling little kids. Something I know I need to learn but can't help but find stupid.

I don't need to be kind to kids to beat the villains to kingdom come.

Denim Head has got the wrong idea of what type of hero I want to be.

I huff, clenching my fists while following the hero as he gives autographs left and right to fans. One thing I'm never doing as a hero is to provide fan service. What they see is what they get. I'm only a hero for the fights and the glory of becoming number one. Nothing else matters.

The fans start to flock like annoying pigeons, squawking their raise and squealing their heads off. It's a living nightmare.

I glance to my left, where Carrot Head (Yumi) should be. But I don't see her.

She can take care of herself.

I know.

That doesn't mean I can't effin' check she isn't losin' her shit from the dense crowd.

She still hasn't told me why she's afraid of crowds. I want to ask her. Maybe I will when I find her.

No, I will ask her.

"Best Jeanist," I exclaim. "Imma look for Kanayama."

He nods before resuming his attention back to the crowd of young girls. It's stupid that heroes have to keep up appearances. Isn't winning enough?

I grunt while stomping backwards from the way we came. The crowd starts to disperse, and I see the bright orange her shitty hair undeniably is, near a flower shop.

Carrot Head (Yumi) is looking at a pot of bright yellow daffodils. They are blinding like the sun.

"Oi," I call out and she whips her hair as she turns to face me. She visibly grimaces and puts a hand on her hip. Sassy little shit. "The hell ya stayin' behind for?"

"Got distracted by the flowers." She tilted her head to point at them. "Aren't they pretty?"

"They're shitty." I grab her arm, "Now let's go."

She groans and some sadistic side of me finds it hilarious at how easily annoyed she gets.

Surprisingly, she follows quietly as we walk back to where Denim Head is. But as the crowd gets denser, I notice how her steps get more resistant, how she is starting to slightly fight against my grip.