Chapter 22 - Buddy's Uncle

Sorry for the delay y'all! I was having trouble with how build up the climax to get to the scene we started with in the prologue (yes, that scene is coming up very very quickly ಥ_ಥ) As an apology, I'm publishing three chapters all at once. Hope you all enjoy the development <3

***

Ayumi

It's been a day since Bakago ('Tsuki) and I had our fight- separation- distance establishment- whatever you want to label it.

And it's affecting me way more than I thought it would.

Like I'm spacing out while I'm with the rest of the class at the mall, too angry at him to even bother sticking with the group.

I went as far as to make an excuse—to use the bathroom—to walk away from the group.

The only good thing about this anger is that I'm not affected by the crowd at the moment. (It's nice to not be reminded of that day for once.)

So I walk through the various groups of people. Some families, some friends, some acquaintances meeting by chance. And I speculate hard on why Bakago ('Tsuki) became so irrational. He was the one who said to keep the two lives separate- to not let what happened in the past affect our present.

And yet when I think about it- the only reason we got together was because of the memories Ayane and Kousuke gave us. We didn't have our natural chemistry pulling our affections. Rather, it was the perfect coincidence of the past and present practically meshing into one life that brought us closer together. And now farther apart.

It truly is stupid how we went about this whole thing. And we might only see the past life when we see each other. Maybe we should've just kept these memories as our precious secret. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe.

I couldn't dwell on the thought longer.

Because, I suddenly bumped into a wall of a muscle. I guess I was really deep in my thoughts to not notice such a burly man.

"I'm so sorry," I say immediately with a dramatic bow of courtesy. "I was in deep thought and I didn't realize that-"

The man laughs. My heart sinks to the balls of my feet. Possibly past the ground underneath them.

This can't be happening. No, no, no. This is why I never went in crowds alone.

No, please. Don't be who I think it is.

"That's okay, buddy," he says. "A nice surprise to find you here."

I look up, my fear suffocating every breath.

Why is he here? Why?

His dark hair is longer than I last saw him. The double chain wrapped around his body once from shoulder to hip is still there as always. The menacing copper glowing eyes remain the same as that day.

The day my mom was killed in a crowd.

I swallow the little saliva I have down my dry throat, clenching my sweaty fists.

"Hi, Uncle," I say, trying not to delve into a panic attack. "I didn't think I'd ever see you again."

He smiles a little tilted. Demented.

"What? Afraid of meeting Kaya's fate?"

My eyes well with tears. "You don't have the right say her name."

He raises a brow, his smile stretching to show his teeth. They are not as sharp as I remember them. "You've become brave. I suppose that was inevitable with how quickly you've reached our family's secret power."