Chapter One

It was another overcast day. The dark clouds in the distance and the cold wind usually served as a warning for another bout of rainfall, but that wasn't really reliable in this kingdom. The weather was always overcast, always a little cold and windy, always the chance of rain.

Evangeline just hoped that, if rain did happen, it wouldn't come until after she had finished taking down all the laundry. After all, Crown Prince Zestrath's birthday was tonight. Empress Lamia made it very clear that everything had to be perfect. Apparently it wasn't just his birthday, but also to announce his engagement to whatever family they wanted to ally themselves with.

Not that she would have to worry about it. Like all parties, the banquet would be held over in the main palace, and the servants who worked there would be in charge taking care of the preparations. She had always wondered what the parties were like, only ever able to hear the music echo faintly from the distance.

She looked over her shoulder, seeing one of the obsidian towers standing tall against the gray sky. It was a menacing structure, but she supposed it suited the Sharith Empire, the largest demon empire this side of the Carastall Sea. She had only seen the palace once, when she had first came here with her mother when she was eleven. At the time, she had always wondered what the inside looked like.

Of course, that had been seven years ago, and she knew better now. The main palace was a dangerous place for humans, particularly servants. Rosa, her mother, had forbidden it, and the other servants had warned her what could happen if a young girl like her caught the sights of the demons living on that side of the estate. The horror stories were enough for her to stay clear.

Besides, she liked working in Carleigh Castle. It was small – well small compared to the other palaces on the estate – and comfortable. She had friends among the staff, her work wasn't too taxing, and she even got to work alongside Rosa and keep an eye on her health. On top of that, they were paid decently and could send a good amount of money back home for the rest of her family.

"Eve."

The deep voice calling out her nickname caused her to turn around. Upon immediately seeing the owner of the voice, she quickly went into a low curtsy. "Good afternoon, Prince Marak."

"What are you doing out here by yourself?"

"Just finishing up the laundry." She gestured to the sheets hanging behind her. "Jenny and Catherine were here earlier, but Madam Ala called to work on another task a bit ago..."

"I'll have Ala send one of them back. You shouldn't have to do it all by yourself."

Evangeline smiled, and shook her head. "It's all right, Your Highness. Even I can do this much alone."

"It would go faster if you had help."

She laughed, turning away for a moment to check the sheets to see if they were dry enough to take down yet. "I suppose it would."

Marak was the other reason why she enjoyed working at Carleigh Castle. The Fourth Prince of Sharith, he wasn't like the rest of the Xoraneth family. She had never actually met any of them them, but she had heard enough about them to know that they were cruel and selfish people who only saw others, demons and humans alike, as tools for their own gain or pleasure.

But not Marak. Though, she wouldn't exactly call him friendly. He could be incredibly blunt and harsh, and she had overheard him dealing with his brothers or other noblemen whenever they would visit. He was terrifying when he yelled and could be downright cruel to those he disliked.

It didn't help that he usually wore a dark expression on his face that had many people nervous to be around him. Of course, that could have just been his demonic appearance. Like all demons, he had dark gray skin, fearsome claws, and bright red eyes that always seemed to glow, even more so in the dark. Sharp teeth, pointed ears, a long tail and wings... And he was much taller than any human she knew. Even among demons, he was taller than most, standing at a near eight feet. Which was usually a common feature among those within the royal family.