Chapter Nineteen

"You two have been getting along well lately."

Evangeline looked up from her tea at her mother. Since it was midday and she had needed a break from her lessons, they were having tea together out in the garden. And as she looked at her, she wasn't exactly sure what Rosa was thinking.

She knew that Rosa still wasn't on board with the wedding. But now understanding that Marak loved her, she wasn't completely dead set against it. She also knew that, with the wedding now only three days away, there wasn't much she could do. Evangeline wished she could convince her that she didn't need to worry so much. As she had noticed, she and Marak had been getting along well lately. Now that they were being more honest with each other, she felt more comfortable with him. She no longer felt like she had no voice, or that she had to listen to his command.

Admittedly though, she still didn't feel confident in calling them equals. When it was just her and Marak, it did feel easier. But when there were other people around, she would always feel beneath him. After all, that was how everyone looked at them: the big powerful demon emperor with his little human commoner bride. She was still shown respect, but she could tell that it wasn't as genuine as what was shown to Marak.

Regardless, they were spending time together again. But it was more than just chatting or him drawing orgasms from her. Maybe it was because they felt more comfortable around each other, but he was acting more... soft with her. In contrast to how he acted in bed, sometimes he would just pull her into a warm embrace or a gentle kiss. He would hold her hand, or his tail would gently brush against her back.

And the way he would look at her sometimes... Her cheeks warmed at the thought. It wasn't just lust or adoration, it was so much deeper than that. Only for her, and no one else.

Clearing her throat, she looked back to her mother. "Yes... Mar-His Majesty wants to ensure that I'm more comfortable with him by the time the wedding happens."

"And are you?"

She nodded, taking a sip from her teacup. "Mother, I know you still have your reservations, but Marak... He loves me. He wants me to be happy."

Rosa was silent for a few moments before sighing, shaking her head. "I know, dear." The older woman reached out and drank from her cup. "I just worry. This marriage... It's not going to be a normal one. You... will become the empress."

"His Majesty has assured me I will be introduced slowly to my duties," she explained. "I will have a lot of help before I'm fully left in charge. My ladies in waiting are incredibly competent, probably more than I'll ever be... I trust them. And him."

"... And what about when you have children?" she asked quietly. "What happens then?"

She knew what her mother was referring to. After all, nobles and royalty weren't like commoners. They had nannies or servants that watched over the children, taking care of them while they were busy with other things. Evangeline wasn't sure if she was exactly comfortable with that. She wanted to watch over and raise any child she had herself, just as her mother had done with her, Sebastian, and Roxanne.

That was if she had children. She and Marak had discussed it with Solomon. After all, it was expected that Marak needed an heir... but the compatibility between demons and humans were low. It was possible, as proven by the existence of Roxanne and other half-demon children, but it was still difficult for couples to conceive. He and those within the Magi Tower were looking for ways to help improve their chances if they weren't able to conceive naturally within a year.

She would cross that bridge when she got there. Right now, she was just focusing on their upcoming marriage and her promise to him. That she would try to love him.