Chapter Two

There had been more servants who had been made to help out in the main palace than Evangeline had originally thought. After she had finished putting away the laundry, the kitchen staff needed help with preparing supper for not only Marak, but the other servants.

She didn't mind though. She actually enjoyed working in the kitchen. The head chef, an older demon named Azgor, usually made treats that she and the other servants could snack on. Besides, whenever she was in the kitchen, she usually just ended up taking care of lot of cleaning up, which was easy enough. Any prep work was left to those who had more experience in the kitchen.

And that was what she was doing now, alongside two other maids Marion and Dorothy. Dorothy had been a good friend and mentor to her since she first came here all those years ago. She was about two years older than her, and Evangeline admittedly looked up to her as an older sister figure. She could always go to her about things that wouldn't dare mention to her mother.

Which made her wonder if she should bring up what had happened earlier in the storage room with Marak. Dorothy was smart and level-headed; perhaps she could give her some insight as to why he would have done something like that.

That was, of course, if she could get a word in about it. Marion was pressing her for details about her lover. Dorothy had been seeing one of the gardeners for a few months now, and based on what she had told her, it was becoming serious. So serious that Marion wanted to know if anything had come about recently.

"Dorothy, please!" she begged, giggling like a schoolgirl. "Is he going to propose or not?!"

"I don't know," Dorothy said with a soft laugh. "Robert doesn't have a ring yet."

"Come on, you said he wants to meet your parents the next time you can get time off!" She nuzzled up against her, even letting go of the bowl she had been washing. "That has to mean a proposal can't be far~"

"Well..." A small smile graced her cheeks. "We might have talked about it."

Marion squealed, clapping her hands. "You'll have to let us know right away when he does!"

Both she and Evangeline laughed at her enthusiasm. Marion had always been a big romantic. Before bed, she would often read romance novels with great glee. She would often talk about how much she also had a lover, usually daydreaming up scenarios where she and her true love would meet... It was cute, but something she loved to get carried away.

"Robert was the one to approach you first, yes?" Evangeline asked, handing Marion the discarded bowl for her to finish washing.

Dorothy nodded. "Yes... Last year during the holidays."

"And he liked you for a while, right?"

"I knew from the beginning he had feelings for me. Robert was never the subtle type."

"I prefer a bit of subtlety from my men," Marion said, passing the now clean bowl to Evangeline to dry. "It keeps things interesting."

"How would you know?" Dorothy asked with a laugh. "You've never been flirted with before."

Marion's eyes narrowed at her, a pout coming to her face. "Maybe not here, but back in my village, I'll have you know I'm pretty popular." Then she turned to Evangeline, ignoring Dorothy's laugh. "What about you, Eve? A man show you any interest yet? You're certainly pretty enough."

She hesitated for a moment, biting the inside of her cheek.

Something both Dorothy and Marion picked up right away. The two women shared a glance between each other before grinning, turning back to her with bright and excited eyes.