Chapter Thirteen

Evangeline and Marak had spent the rest of the day together. It had actually been nice. They had tea together before walking around the garden and chatting. It had been a long time since she had talked to him so comfortably. There weren't any guards or servants around, and she felt less anxious speaking more freely.

Of course, it was still a little embarrassing. Marak would hold her hand, pull her in for kisses, embrace her... But he counterbalanced it with asking her questions about herself. They had been separated for four years, and he wanted to know how she had lived during it all. So she told him about her life in Oakenfort, about how she worked in a restaurant, how she had made some new friends, how her mother had remarried and had another child, how she had been planning on helping renovate the restaurant...

She briefly mentioned Claude when she talked about being tutored, but Marak didn't seem too thrilled that she and him sounded close. So she decided not to mention anything about how Claude was interested in her romantically. She didn't need him to become... jealous.

Marak talked a little about himself as well. His first year as emperor had been challenging, especially when many houses had been so opposed to how he took the throne. They also hadn't been pleased with the fact that he wanted to reverse a lot of the laws that his father had put into law. After a "show of force," as he had put it, the others fell in line.

She could tell that he was leaving a lot out, but she would rather not know the details of his more violent endeavors. Especially not when he didn't even seem even the least bit remorseful for his actions. He admitted that, after enduring so many years of mistreatment and having to act like a powerless little man, he was more aggressive and uncompromising than he needed to be.

At least he was honest about it. She didn't necessarily agree with his severe approach, but she could understand it. She had witnessed the mistreatment for seven years. That wasn't something that could be easily forgiven.

Though, as the day went on, and the sky grew darker, their conversations turned less and less ordinary and more... indecent. Especially at supper. In front of others, he acted normal, but when it had just been the two of them, he hinted at what he had planned for her once they retired for the evening.

She had honestly hoped he had forgotten about his promised punishment. She still had no idea what he was planning to do, but her anxiety was through the roof. She doubted he would hurt her, but that didn't mean she didn't feel uneasy. He wouldn't tell her what he was going to do; he merely hinted that he would make her forget everything, even her own name.

She didn't know whether to be mortified or frightened by the idea. Even now, sitting on the chair inside Marak's bedroom, she wasn't sure what to think. He had left shortly after dinner to "take care of a few things," so she was currently alone. The maids had helped get ready for bed, washing her face and changing her into a nightgown... but they had also sprayed some perfume on her, and left out what looked to be medicine and bandages next to a basin full of water.

She couldn't sit still, her eyes continuously looking back at the medicine. They had clearly left that for a reason, but she didn't know why and it only made her more anxious. Did Marak tell them to leave that? She didn't think he would hurt her though. Even if this was supposed to be some sort of punishment, he said he didn't want to hurt her...

The doors suddenly opened. Snapping out of her thoughts, she quickly stood up from the chair and watched as Marak entered the room. She noticed he was carrying a small box with him, but then his eyes immediately locked onto her. Her heart began to race as he shut the door behind him, clenching her hands tightly.

"You didn't try to run away?" he asked, clearly amused.

"... You told me if I tried, I wouldn't like the consequences."