Chapter Twenty-Two

Evangeline was physically exhausted, but she tried not to let it show. Despite Marak promising that she didn't have to assume her duties as empress right away, she still had a lot of lessons to attend to. Her ladies-in-waiting were patient though, and quite forgiving. After a week straight of almost non-stop intercourse, surely no one would blame her for being tired.

She wouldn't have necessarily called it a honeymoon, but it came close. She had spent most of that first week inside her shared chambers with Marak, who made love to her every chance he got. Sometimes he would leave for work he needed to attend to, but would come back shortly to ravage her once more. Even now, underneath her dress, her body was covered in bite marks and hickeys.

Honestly, at this point, she was just happy she could walk on her own. After that first night, she had barely been able to sit up. Marak had to carry her to the bath and help her eat due to how exhausted she was. It had been so embarrassing whenever the servants came in to bring them food and saw her naked and practically helpless in his arms.

Then, this past week instead of him having his way morning, noon, and night, their bedroom activities had been reduced to just night. It still left her tired in the morning, but at least she had had a chance to not only attend her lessons but also spend a little more time with her family. Though a few days ago, she had to say goodbye to Rosa, Azgor, and Roxanne so they could return home to Oakenfort. She was sad to see them leave, but she knew they couldn't stay. They had their own lives, after all.

However, their departure seemed to have somehow emboldened her husband to leave his marks on her in more visible areas. According to him, he was trying to be respectful towards his new in-laws; he doubted they would appreciate seeing the evidence of what he was doing every night to her.

Of course, she would have been lying if she said she hated it. She had been overwhelmed, but having sex with Marak was good. Really good. If anyone just asked her outright, she would probably even admit it was amazing. She had no idea that she could actually feel like that, and she definitely didn't think Marak could make her feel that way.

But it was more than just sex. The things he would whisper to her should have been taken as degrading or demeaning, but they were always followed by declarations of his love. It would make her head spin and intensify the pleasure. It made her chest tightened and body warm up, and she found herself wanting him to say more.

There was no denying she was beginning to feel something for him. He always made her feel safe and loved. Hearing him call her his wife always embarrassed her, but also comforted her... She couldn't explain it; she just liked it.

"Your Majesty."

Snapping from her thoughts, she looked up at Lehiri who stood in front of her desk. Since Evangeline had more confidence in finances, they were working together to plan an elaborate tea party for noblewomen to attend. It was customary for the new empress to host one after getting married as a way to introduce herself more intimately to the women she would be socializing with the most. Of course, it was more than just a tea party and more of a very personal introduction to women who would be her subjects... or potentially, her enemies.

Evangeline never would have guessed that planning a tea party would be so stressful. Then again, she never had tea parties with nobles as their empress. Their human commoner empress... As Priscilla had pointed out, it was going to be a challenge getting them to respect her, let alone like her. She wasn't looking forward to it, but it had to be done.

So, sitting up straight in her seat, she looked to Lehiri and held back a yawn. "Sorry, what did you say?"

Lehiri gave a small smile before looking at some of the notes they made. "All right, so we have our guest list figured out. Fortunately, you have a very generous budget, so I suggest using it to its full potential."