Chapter Twenty-One

Evangeline had barely been able to keep up with everything after the ceremony. As soon as it had ended, she had been brought out with Marak to the balcony that had faced into the capital. She had nearly fainted at the sight of the huge crowd of commoners that had gathered outside the palace gates, who had all cheered with thunderous glee at the sight of their new empress.

At least the general populace seemed to be on her side. Or perhaps they were just excited to see a commoner in such a high position, something many believed to be impossible. Either way, she hoped she could meet whatever expectations they had.

Then, after Marak had given a few words to the people, the two of them had been escorted to the reception, which was just as grand as the wedding itself. They had had a beautiful dinner catered out in the garden, which she had noted had more lavenders than the last time she had gone out there. According to Sebastian, he and the other mages in the tower were instructed to make them bloom in time for the wedding, since they were her favorite flower. The food had been even more delicious than what she and Marak would normally have for dinner – Azgor had pointed out to her that a lot of the ingredients used were definitely imported, and it was probably the most expensive dinner any attending, including the nobles, had ever had.

Marak never left her side. He made sure that she was within an arm's reach at all times, introducing her to the nobles and making small talk. And throughout each conversation, he made it very clear that she was their new empress and they needed to show her respect as such. She didn't have to be a noble to know that there would be severe consequences if they didn't follow his command.

It was a bit overbearing, but he meant well, so she couldn't be upset. She did catch some nobles staring at her with judgmental gazes and whispering to each other, but she tried to pay little mind to the gossip. It was her wedding day; she wanted to enjoy it.

Then her nerves came over her when Marak had pulled her out onto the dance floor. It was as if all of her lessons had flown out of her brain and out a window. Now she was standing right in front of Marak while everyone else stood around them in a circle, anxious that she was about to embarrass herself before them.

Marak seemed to have noticed as well, a small smirk coming to his face. He leaned down and whispered, "You'll be fine. Just follow my lead."

"But what if I-?"

He chuckled, taking her hand while the other rested at her waist. "Trust me. I won't let you stumble."

She didn't have much of a choice when the music started to play, but she nodded all the same. Taking a deep breath, she allowed him to guide her through the steps. She forced herself to not look at her feet, instead her eyes on her husband as they moved with the tempo. It started off slow, carrying her through the steps as they moved in time with the music.

But then he spun her before bringing her back to him, holding her closer as the tempo grew faster. She gasped, nearly losing her footing, but Marak merely leaned her back to make it seem like he wanted to dip her. Chatter arose from the crowd, as well as some delighted gasps, but Marak didn't seem to care about any of that. His gaze was solely focused on her, the small smile still on his face.

"Thank you," she mumbled as he lifted her back up.

"I promised I wouldn't let you fall," he chuckled, spinning her again before they continued to move in a paced circle. "As your husband, it is my duty to protect you, even from embarrassment."

She couldn't help but giggle a little. "Well, I appreciate it."

He continued to carry her through the music, Evangeline gaining more confidence as she was able to dance with him more fluidly. And just as the song came to a close, he dipped her again. But instead of simply ending it there, he leaned down and kissed her. Her eyes widened, blushing when she heard the nobles around them gasp. Though their shock soon turned into applause, which continued even as Marak broke the kiss and lifted her back up.