Chapter Five

It was another busy afternoon. Despite not being a major city, Oakenfort was certainly a populated town, filled with all sorts of stores, restaurants, and other businesses in the heart of the town. The marketplace was lively and busy with people shouting out sales or bargaining with patrons, wagons and carriages going through the towns with everyone wandering up and down the streets.

Fortunately, Evangeline had grown accustomed to all the bustle, and was able to easily navigate through the crowds. Holding her bag close, she weaved in between clusters of people before entering into the town library. Though once inside, she made sure to close the door quietly behind her. She could still remember the first time she came in, and she accidentally let the door slam behind her. She had gotten a severe warning from the librarian that had almost made her run out the door.

Speaking of which, she entered deeper into the library and saw the demon sitting at his large desk, sorting through books and checking through them. The first time she met him, she had honestly be terrified. He always had a stern look on his face and was very strict about how people were to act in his library. He took great pride in managing it, and he preferred it quiet. Any hollering could get someone thrown out the door. And should they mess with his books in anyway, they would be thrown at the window. She had seen it once before, and it had certainly been a sight.

But despite his sternness, Tillmag was well-respected in Oakenfort. Everyone knew they could retreat to his library for peace, and it would be provided. It had been her safe haven when she and her mother first arrived Oakenfort, and she had been coming once a week since.

"Good afternoon, Mister Tillmag," she greeted softly, coming up to his desk.

"Afternoon," he said gruffly, not looking up at her. Then he pointed to behind one of the bookshelves. leading to the more private areas some people used to work. "Your friend's over there waiting for you."

"Thank you." Then she reached into her bag, pulling out a wrapped pastry out of her bag and setting it on his desk. "Mother made these fresh this morning. She told me to bring you one."

"This isn't a café, you know."

But Evangeline smiled and shrugged. "Well, all right, if you don't want it..." She reached out to take it back, but Tillmag looked away from his work to actually grab the pastry. He looked slightly embarrassed, avoiding her gaze.

"I didn't say that," he grumbled as he unwrapped it. "Just don't want you coming in here and getting crumbs all over my books; it attracts rats."

She giggled. "I'll be sure to clean up after myself, Mister Tillmag, I promise."

"Good." Then he took a bite from the soft pastry, letting out a soft hum as he did. "And tell Rosa I said thanks."

Evangeline nodded before heading towards the back of the library. As always on Sundays, it was a little busier in the library than the rest of the week. Most people reading quietly at tables or the comfortable chairs started around, but she could some people studying and taking notes on some of the books they read.

Rounding the corner, she smiled as she saw her friend sitting at the table that was filled with text books, leaning back in his seat and reading a book. Though he turned when he heard her footsteps with a small frown on his face.

"You're late."

"Sorry, Claude," she said, taking the seat across from him. "Mother needed some extra help, so I stayed behind."

"I thought she hired more workers recently?"

"No, no, I meant with Roxanne."

"Oh... And how is she?"