Chapter Eleven

The next morning had been a bit overwhelming. Fortunately, by the time Evangeline had woken up, Marak had already left. But instead of seeing him, the two maids from yesterday had been in the room and were ready to get her ready for the day. Once again, she tried to get them to use one of the outfits she had packed, but they refused. Though before she could even get dressed, she had to take another bath while they changed the sheets.

She was just relieved that there wasn't any evidence from last night to be found on them. Even her thighs had been cleaned up. Marak must have done it last night after she passed out... Gods, she still couldn't believe that they had done all of that last night. It should have just been them sharing a bed, not her letting him touch her!

At least he had been true to his word and didn't have sex with her. And while it had been overwhelming, she was more embarrassed to admit that she didn't hate it. It had actually felt good... really good. Not that she could say such a thing out loud. Then people would think she really was only brought here to be a bedwarmer.

Of course, no one would think that once they saw her. After the bath, Catherine and Vala dressed her in a beautiful lavender gown that was fit for a princess. And this one didn't have her completely exposed, covering her legs and chest comfortably as the skirt part flowed down to the floor. The makeup this time was much lighter, and she only had a few ornaments placed in her hair to help hold her hair back from her face.

She still felt a little nervous though. After all, the dress probably cost more than what she could make in a year.

Then she was led away into a small comfortable parlor where breakfast had already been set up for her. But what she hadn't been expecting was her brother, who immediately jumped up when she entered the room.

"Sebastian!" she cried out, rushing to him.

With his arms wide open, he pulled her into a tight hug. It had only been a day since they had last seen each other, but with everything that had happened, it had felt like weeks.

"Lord Solomon told me to have breakfast with you," he said, pulling back to look at her face. "Gods, I just heard this morning – is it true?"

"Is what true?"

"Are you truly marrying His Majesty?"

She bit her bottom lip and avoided his gaze. If Sebastian – who resided in the Magi Tower - knew about it already, then that had to have meant the whole palace knew by now. And by the end of the week, the entire capital would know as well. Then it wouldn't take much time until her mother heard of it; the news would probably kill her.

"That's what he says..." she mumbled.

Sebastian just stared at her with disbelief. Evangeline didn't really know what else to say, so she sat at the table that had been set up. Her brother joined her, both of them watching the servants quickly serve them a generous helping of sausages, eggs, preserves, and bread rolls. Tea was poured before the maids stood off to the side, waiting for further instruction.

It made Evangeline uncomfortable. She had always been the one to wait on others; never in her life had she had people waiting on her. Sebastian didn't look too bothered in comparison, slowly cutting up his food. Sparing a glance at the maids, she turned to her food and began to eat as well.

"You..."

Evangeline looked up at him, but Sebastian's eyes remained on his food. His brows were furrowed, but he didn't look angry. Just bewildered, as was she.

"You're going to be the empress."

"... That's what His Majesty is saying," Evangeline said softly. "But... I-I can't marry him."