Chapter Twenty

Evangeline thought she was going to throw up. She really thought that her anxiety wouldn't be so terrible, but now that the wedding day was finally here, she felt half tempted to run away again to Carleigh Castle and hide out until the day was over. The second she had woken up, her maids had given her a thorough washing, including a massage, a manicure, and a facial with ingredients and soaps and lotions she had never even heard of.

Then she had been hauled away to do her makeup and hair. She had been worried that they would make it heavy, but she was relieved that they gave her a more natural look. Neutral eyeshadow, pinkish nude lip, soft blush and contouring... And her hair was styled into long gentle curls, brought together in the middle with a loose braid that was decorated with elegant floral pins.

Once that had all been taken care of, Evangeline had been escorted to a drawing room where Britari and her seamstresses were waiting. They greeted her with polite bows and welcoming smiles, but Evangeline could see that they looked absolutely exhausted. Not that she blamed them – they had to make her a wedding dress in two and a half weeks. And she could only imagine what Marak had said to ensure that they didn't try to skimp out on any of the details.

She would have to find a way to apologize to them somehow. Maybe even find a way to give them a vacation or time off. Hopefully one of her ladies-in-waiting knew what would be appropriate.

Of course, it hadn't taken long before the seamstresses started getting her dressed. She was quickly stripped out of her robe and made to put on the gown. They had been extremely mindful of her hair and makeup, helping her into the dress and lacing it up her back. Evangeline had noted that this fit much better than the one she had tried on, made exactly to her measurements. She could also tell they had added a few more diamonds and trims to make it more unique to her.

She dared not to even think about how much something like this cost. If she were being honest with herself, she had always imagined herself wearing one of her mother's dresses and modifying it to fit her own tastes. Not as expensive as this dress cost.

But her anxiety about the dress price went away when she had actually seen herself in the mirror. She had honestly been shocked by her appearance. She looked like a completely different person, like she had fallen out of a fairytale. And when they had put on the veil, she truly felt like a bride and had been close to tears.

Fortunately for both her sake and her maid's, she had managed to keep her tears down. Once she had been properly fitted and dressed, she had been escorted into another drawing room, this one much smaller and only a few doors away from the main hall, where the ceremony was to take place. She had thought that it would have been at the temple, but demons rarely took their vows in churches or temples. Even her mother's second wedding had taken place in the local park.

Her mother had been in the room waiting for her. She had nearly cried at the sight of her, but managed to keep it just a few tears and some kisses. So now, with just the two of them in the room, Rosa helped her with the last finishing touches, including the earrings and the necklace she had been holding onto.

Evangeline knew she would likely be judged by the nobles for wearing them. They could probably see from a mile away that it was fake and inexpensive jewelry, not like the refined gems and accessories they all had. But she hadn't gotten much say on everything else about the wedding; she at least had the right to choose what she would wear.

"You look beautiful."

Snapping from her thoughts, she looked up at the mirror she was sitting in front of. Rosa, dressed in a simple but beautiful blue gown that had been provided for her, was fixing up her hair again. Evangeline had dismissed the other two maids to give her and Rosa some time alone. After all, this would be the last conversation they would have as simply mother and daughter. The next time they spoke, it would be as subject and empress.