Chapter Ten

The minute Evangeline had finished eating, she returned to her bedroom. She barely even wished Marak a goodnight before she bolted out of the room. And she had been relieved to find that he didn't chase after her either.

The two maids Marak hadn't fired were waiting for her outside the dining room. They escorted her back to the bedchamber, where they had changed her out of the offending outfit and into a much more comfortable, modest nightgown. It had honestly been a relief to wear something familiar, even if the fabric was probably more expensive than anything she had brought with her.

Her suitcase was still sitting by the bed, untouched and ignored. She had tried to tell them that they could use the clothes in there, but they were resistant. She had to wonder if it was because of Marak. And seeing at how frightening he had acted with Lyra, Evangeline didn't blame them.

The two maids – Catherine and Vala – also apologized for Lyra's behavior. They had known it wasn't right, but Lyra had been working here longer than they had. Something she could understand. Generally, those with seniority had more say, and it was expected for others to follow their leads. Of course, none of them had expected Marak to react the way he did. They didn't think she was that important to him.

They certainly knew now though. And Evangeline had forgiven them; it wasn't as if they had chosen the dress for her, and they had seemed reluctant to make her wear it in the first place. They had even offered a shawl before Lyra had shooed them away. She could take comfort that they at least had her best interests at heart.

After she had been dressed, they had helped her wash off her makeup and get her ready to sleep. She had thought about writing a letter to send to her mother, but she decided to wait until the morning. Her nerves were still a bit shot, and she was still so confused. She had no idea what she would even tell the woman!

She would try to do it after she spoke with her brother about this. Surely she would be able to see him tomorrow and talk. She didn't think Sebastian knew either. He definitely would have told her if he did... And both Catherine and Vala had been shocked when Marak had called her the future empress. Which made her wonder – how many people actually knew what he was trying to do? And would they think he was just as crazy as she did for it?

Currently, she was sitting at the small lounge area set up by the window. Catherina had brought her some soothing valerian root tea while Vala had just finished preparing the bath. While she appreciated the tea, she was a little confused on the bath. She had only had one just a little bit ago, and she hadn't done anything strenuous – why would she need another?

Her answer came when the door opened, and Marak stepped into the room. Evangeline's eyes widened, nearly dropping her cup. She would have asked what he was doing there when she saw Catherine and Vala bow.

"The bath is ready, Your Majesty," Vala said.

He nodded. "Both of you are dismissed."

The two maids gave a final bow to both of them before leaving the room. Once they did, Marak's eyes locked onto Evangeline. Her arms immediately came up to hug herself, shifting nervously on the couch. A satisfied smirk came to his face as he approached her.

"It seems they presented you with a suitable nightgown."

Her arms tightened around her chest. The garment wasn't sheer, but she suddenly became very aware of how vulnerable she was. Other than her underwear, she was completely naked under the nightgown.

"Wh-What're you doing here?" she managed to ask.

He raised an eyebrow. "This is my bedroom."

"WHAT?!"