The 2nd Letter

EIGHT

   'What the hell are you doing here?' Dexter asked, surprised, and suspicious. Staggering, he pointed his 9mm revolver at Akash, who dropped his gun, and with a smile, put his hands in the air.

   'Shouldn't you be saying, "I'm grateful to you for saving my life, I owe you one"?' Akash asked. Dexter tilted his neck towards the television and the corner from which the bullet was shot. There was a small box in the corner, with a small hole, he assumed that the gun was placed inside that box. If Akash hadn't pressed the trigger at the right moment, changing the direction of the box, Dexter would have been dead by now.

   'The string was attached at two ends.' Akash began, studying Dexter's eyes. 'The first end was attached with the television wire and the second was with the box. As soon as you tripped and fell on the floor, the first string switched on the television, which drew your attention towards it, at the same moment the second string, due to its length, took its time to reach the box and fire the bullet.' Dexter confirmed Akash's deduction by observing the small white string, which was hardly visible to the naked eye.

   'How'd you know this trap? Is this your doing?' he asked pointing his gun at him.

   'A basic trap, you will find it in many mystery novels.'

   'I'll ask again. What are you doing here? Does this place belong to you? Were you the sender of that letter?' he asked him intently, cursing himself instantly that he slipped about the letter. Akash's brow raised; he was lowering his hands slowly.

   'Which letter are you talking about?' he asked curiously. Dexter knew he had made a mistake.

   'Answer my question!' he ordered firmly. Akash sighed and lowered his hands. He had a guilty look on his face, yet his ears seemed curious to know more about the letter.

   'I guess you are well aware that I crave to be a part of this investigation. I figured out that the only way for SHO Syna to hear my plea was if somehow, I convinced someone she is close to. So, I was tailing you since yesterday, trying to find a circumstance where you could owe me one and hence, would return the favour by helping me join the investigation. Here we are.' That's when Dexter lowered his firearm.

   'Then, you were the one at the back seat on the bus ride?' he asked and Akash nodded.

   'What you're trying to do is useless. I thank you for saving my life, but there's no way I can help you. Now step away from this property, it is under investigation.'

   'That's strange. My horoscope today says that all my longings would be answered and solved by today or tomorrow. Furthermore, which letter were you talking about?' Akash picked up his gun and placed it back.

   'Maybe you should stop believing in them because today's not the day. As for the letter, it is none of your concern.' That's it, Dexter thought, any further and the conversation might have a negative outcome.

   'Very well, young man. Although, an investigation without uniform, that means discreet and unofficial, furthermore an abandoned house, far away from town, a 9mm revolver with someone of your rank? What exactly is SHO Syna plotting? Who was the sender?' Akash fired his questions, but Dexter seemed in no mood to answer, he ordered Akash to leave the property and warned him that trailing him again would result in some unpleasant consequences.

***********

She returned from the search. The investigation went as she had thought, she found nothing except scrap. What annoyed her the most was that none of her assigned tasks were applauded with success. Mr. Khatri's team found nothing at Jeel's apartment, Syna's search team didn't find anything concrete, and neither did Dexter at the address of that letter, except for a modified gun and a few traps. It was a dummy address and someone had planned those traps, but there was no proof. She was glad that Akash had saved Dexter's life, but was also surprised to see how far Mr. Handsome could go to join the investigation.