The Bait

Ten

   'Alright. This is all the information we have gathered until now.' Syna clapped. It took her an hour to lay down all the pages, documents, and illustrations about The Stalker, Himanshu Savla, David Fernandes, and Jeel. Irrespective of Akash's relation with David, Syna chose to add David in the list as well. There was no objection from Akash's side.

   'Let's get down to basics.' Akash announced. 'Assuming that the sender was an imposter, the quality and accuracy of the letter and the content pattern are almost just like The Stalker. Who could have such potential to perform an impeccable replica of his method?'

   'It could have been carried out by a smart man, only.' Dexter replied and all three pairs of eyes halted at the images of Himanshu and David.

   'What if this is all real? What if, it really is the original Stalker?' Dexter asked.

   'Give me one good motive behind committing a mass-murder here, out of all places?'

   'As far as I can tell, the letter says that he wants to help us catch the killer.'

   'And you believe that?'

   'Maybe. But it's just impossible for anyone else to commit the murder in his way.'

   'There you have it. He's the killer, there's no doubt about it, the helpline was just a delusion. In any case, if it turns out that he actually exists, the real culprit behind this mass-murder would be hunted by The Stalker  himself as before, so we have nothing to worry about the alternative.' She looked at Dexter. 'And to answer your question again, give me a good reason for him to target this area.'

    'How would I know? Maybe because it's close to the prison where his subordinates are held?' Syna and Akash raised their brows in unison.

   'You mean, he is planning to breakout his subordinates?' Akash questioned.

   'Rahul Arora's dead. It's just Abort Hazer who's alive and he is scheduled to be hanged on 23rd March, that is three days from today.' Syna's point discouraged Dexter to continue further, he felt a hand on his shoulder.

    'It's alright.' Akash comforted him; Dexter nodded. Syna cleared her throat,

   'You know David better than anyone. Have you ever noticed any peculiarities which could lead us to the point of him faking the identity of The Stalker?' Akash glared at Syna, showing a look of an obvious 'No'.

   'I know nothing about Himanshu Savla. Can you elaborate on him?'

   'He works as a drama actor-' Dexter began.

   'I meant his past. Always remember, if you want to find out about someone, you must dig and pursue their history.'

   'Hmm. He left his family at an early age, is fond of clubs and girls. Changed at-least nine jobs in the previous two years and has some decent relations with wealthy people.' Syna said, scanning a file.

   'Any charges?'

   'Except for drunk and drive and domestic noise, none.' Akash shook his head with disappointment.

There was a long silence in the cabin, all three of them were polishing their thoughts.

   'I still can't find any relevant point that would prove that the letters were written by The Stalker.' Syna said, breaking the silence. Dexter made a clumsy face and asked for an explanation.