Tihar Jail, Delhi, India

Seventeen

Shimla

22nd March 2003

6:40 P.M.

Dexter relaxed on his chair once his job was done. He had successfully accessed Mark Hallows' theory and forwarded it to Syna. He also snuck back all the rough papers, clips, photocopies of Mark Hallows, and Abort Hazer into a safe place. He wondered if all of this hard work was worth it. Did Syna even consider him as her accomplice, or was he just a burden because he had read that letter? His rank definitely did no justice to his potential, he had the capability to lead and have a higher rank, such as that of Mr. Khatri.

The guy was sickening, God knows why he wasn't terminated from his job. As far as Dexter knew, Mr. Khatri was transferred from Mumbai to Shimla. The reason behind his transfer was confidential, but rumours always kept flowing about how he was caught in some illegal activities in Mumbai, although there was no solid proof. His transfer was just to avoid disgrace to the Mumbai police department's name. A constable suddenly rushed in, startling Dexter.

   'Is your phone dead? You have a call from some girl named Rhea.' Constable Shinde said. 'Says she needs you, something urgent.' Dexter stood up instantaneously and headed towards the telephone, outside. He was bewildered, Rhea was his sister. The fact that she called him on such an urgent basis meant something was wrong at his house. Was she in trouble? Or did something happen to his parents? He wiped off the accumulating sweat on his forehead and rushed towards the telephone.

*****************************

Tihar Jail, Delhi

22nd March 2003

6:45 P.M.

   'Told you we would reach before 7 P.M.' Syna bragged.

They entered the huge complex of the Prison. The unusual part about Tihar Jail is that it focused more on the developmental and rehabilitation facilities for inmates. For example, the music therapy that the prison offered, in hopes of directing the inmates towards developing a positive outlook on life. Abort Hazer's cell was situated in a completely different wing. His execution was a day away, and as per protocols of the prison complex, he had to be shifted in solitary to avoid any troubles. The security assigned to the solitary section was airtight.

As soon as the helicopter landed, she instructed Yash Gala to wait until 8:30. Then she headed to a nearby residence, which Akash assumed belonged to one of her close friends, and received the formal document through a telegram. She presented the formal classified document, which allowed them to pass through. The guards of Tihar Jail were perplexed at the sight of the document and eyed Syna for a few minutes. Finally, after thorough inspection and assurances, they were allowed to pass through, with two armed guards behind them.

   'That document which you presented back there.' Akash whispered to Syna. 'It- it was by the CBI?'

   'Of course, it was. How else do you think we were allowed in here?' 'So, you informed your authorities?' Akash asked, surprised.

   'Nope.' Syna responded. 'But I intend to, soon.'

   'Right here.' The stout guard behind them announced. Syna and Akash turned towards their left.

The cell, a 4x4 tiled room, was dimly lit, with a flickering bulb. Its doors were made of solid steel. And then they finally saw him. There lay in chains, a very weary, fat, and hairy figure, sitting in one corner.