The Theory

Sixteen

22nd March 2003

5:20 P.M.

Akash hopped into Syna's car, and they were off to their destination. He had no clue as to how Syna was going to cover a 350 K.M. distance in one and a half hours? They left the station and Dexter behind, with a heavy heart. The man had solved almost both of the codes and was working very hard for the case. He showed his loyalty by keeping his mouth shut about the case, but they had no choice. Syna could have interrogated Mark Hallows herself, but she wanted someone with her, just in case.

Akash kept checking his phone to see if there were any messages from Catherine. He'd left her a few messages saying how sorry he was, but since Catherine had not responded to him in so long, he had no choice but to assume that whatever they had, was over.

He glanced sideways at Syna; her short hair dangling with every sharp turn she took. When it came to love, he thought, she would definitely be the one who could take over someone's mind completely. He knew nothing about her, though, what got her here? What has she struggled with? What are her plans? Was she dating someone? He chuckled at the thought of these questions, wondering why he started to care about her, all of a sudden.

Syna noticed him instantly, she had been trying to get quick glances of his charming face. Their hands brushed against each other when she changed gears, and she enjoyed repeating it. Both of them were itching to initiate a conversation, not about the case, not about The Stalker, but about each other, but shyness and ego stood in their way.

   'How are we going to cover such a long distance in such a short time?' Akash broke the silence.

   'By moving faster.' Syna replied. 'I can't see how that helps.'

   'If you cannot, then look for the sky.' Syna smirked. Akash made a small face and pretended to look above, towards the flock of birds moving in the opposite direction.

   'Wings? Or Capes?' He taunted. 'Fans.' She boasted.

******************************

Yash Gala waited on the top floor of the Palace Tower, the only skyscraper in Shimla. He was a well-trained pilot and had carried out various ventures with major authorities and VIPs. But it was different this time, he had received orders to fly two individuals, an SHO and a private detective. He wasn't sure as to how they got the privilege to ride, though.

Syna and Akash quickly entered the elevator and waited patiently. The privacy of the elevator distracted them and they started eyeing each other. They moved a step closer, but before they could do anything, the doors of the elevator swung open. Syna cleared her throat and rushed towards the open floor, with Akash following her. His eyes could not believe at the sight of what lay in front of them.

A helicopter with a trained pilot, waiting for them to roll on. Akash was ecstatic thinking of the fact that he was about to ride in a helicopter. He was longing to ask Syna as to how she was able to get one with so much ease? Has she informed her authorities? The helicopter sprang to life, making the wind blow violently. Akash jumped in and sat right beside Syna.

   'I'm grateful for your promptness, on such short notice.' Syna thanked the pilot.

   'Well, orders are orders, Miss?' The pilot had a calm voice. 

   'Syna.'

   'Brace yourselves.' He advised, and the helicopter began to levitate slowly in the air. Before Akash could munch the thrilling experience, they were away, flying in the air.