The Second Code

Fourteen

22nd March 2003

1 P.M.

David's lawyer was shocked, as well as impressed with David when he heard about the little Jeel stunt that he'd pulled. But he disliked the fact that David overrode him and had started making his own decisions.

   'Hmm. A good move, but what was the point of going through all of this trouble, if she still hasn't escaped?'

   'I just wanted her to be safe, that's all that matters to me.'

   'Does anyone, except you, know of her whereabouts?' The lawyer asked.

   'Except my trusted colleague, none. Here's the address, you should have it, in case something happens to me.' David took out a piece of paper and handed it to his lawyer.

   'Your cousin, Akash Paul. He seems very determined to find the culprit.'

   'Seems so. I hope he solves the case quickly, I'm tired of these unsolved mysteries in my life.' David sighed. The lawyer raised his brow, in response.

   'You know very well what I'm talking about.' David said. 'Mr. Paul and my father. The reason why my father left one-third of the will, such a huge amount to Mr. Paul, that remains a mystery.'

   'And? Where's this getting at?' The lawyer asked patiently, David shifted on the sofa, with interest.

   'What exactly was cooking between Mr. Paul and my father? Your father was my Dad's lawyer, he handled his lawsuits, problems, decisions, everything. So far, your family has advised us well. I'm sure you know the secret of Mr. Paul and my father. However harsh it may be, I want to know the truth, please.' David pleaded. His lawyer looked at him intently, forming a diplomatic answer in his mind.

   'Look David, I agree with the fact that they might have a secret, but I have no clue about it.' David let out a fake laugh and glared at him,

   'Are you telling me that your father never discussed it with you?' 'He couldn't have, due to Attorney-client-'

   'I'm very well aware of the privilege. But I refuse to believe that he hadn't revealed it to you! Which is why I demand to know.'

   'Again. I can't, the law forbids me from doing so. Call me if you need anything, I shall leave now.' And the lawyer left, leaving behind a frustrated David.

************************

22nd March 2003

3:20 P.M.

Dexter and Akash focused on the second point of the letter, which they positively believed, belonged to Abort Hazer. After about an hour's search on the Internet about "Abort Hazer", they still had nothing. All they could find were various media articles and a few unrealistic theories by different investigators or scholars.

   'Do you think it is a fake name? Abort Hazer?' Dexter asked. 'Of course, it's a fake name, what else do we have?'

   'Wish I could ask the great Aryabhata and John Wallis.' And they both chuckled.

Syna was on the phone, near the window of her cabin. She was continuously arguing over the call, trying to make arrangements to get permission to question Abort Hazer by 7 pm. Dexter wasn't aware of who she was talking to, but he was positive that they weren't going to get permission so easily.

   'Zero to infinity? Is that of any help?' Akash wondered.

   'Should be connected with maths, I suppose. Aryabhata and John Wallis were mathematicians, right?'