[14] Operation Bright Star

"How effortless, you elude me.
I will never be two steps ahead.
You're a mystery yet to be solved,
But I hope never comes to an end."

What if never doesn't come to an end? What if you never catch who you desire? Would you search on providing no mercy, or would you continue to let that person conspire?

~Deathbringer~ (Short Chapter while I work on the next one~)

"Where are we?" I asked. "Are you sure they're here?" One of the police officers shrugged.

"It's the location of Tsunami's coms," she said. "We're sure it's here."

I sighed, shaking my head a little as we all slowly walked down the tilted and crooked alleyway. It was a bit sickening, I'll admit, but that wasn't my main problem.

The walls were decorated with lots of mold and dirt that seemed it was there for centuries. I resisted the urge to gag.

Weird plants were growing against the walls, giving the place a sort of eerie vibe.

I was with four other officers, all obviously armed. It hadn't been long since Qibli and the others' takings. I'd say almost a day.

But anything can happen in a day, right?

After all of this, I am planning on moving with Glory, you know, somewhere more secluded. Less chance for her to be constantly in danger. I could go to work without the thought someone still wants her dead.

I kind of just wanted a normal life for once.

So I'd say I was quite startled when I found three broken down cages that were clearly from some abandoned junkyard. Three bodies sat in all of them, taped to the mouth as chains wrapped around their wrists.

Tsunami looked like she was ready to call it a night, Glory was intensely examining her nails while Qibli looked bored out of his mind.

"Guys," I whispered, and all of them turned to look at me and my backup. "Where's Leopard and Umber?"

Glory gave me an exasperated look, saying that they couldn't actually answer that, could they?

I casually walked over, not entirely scared at what Leopard was capable of doing when I wasn't looking. Tsunami and Qibli frantically shook their heads at me, trying to tell me to stop.

"Gosh, calm down," I said with an eye roll. "It's not like I'm going to die." Backup shuffled over to Qibli and Tsunami's cage while I handled Glory's. "The rest are out looking for them." I easily swung open the cage and so did the others. I helped Glory to her feet and snapped off the chains.

"Why didn't you guys escape?" I asked and Glory took off the tape with a disgusted look.

"Because we didn't exactly have a choice," Tsunami said, also standing up.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Leopard and Umber have Moon," Qibli said. "To my surprise, she came and tried to help us, but they got to her first."

"For all we know, she could be dead," Tsunami said, dusting herself off.

"Doubtful," Glory said. "Leopard still loves her, so I guess he wouldn't hurt her. He's around here somewhere."

"That son of a bitch," I groaned. "He won't stop at anything for Moon. Okay, fine, the backup will get you all to the hospital just to make sure everything is alright, and I'll look for Moon."

"I'm coming with you," Qibli said, just as I started pulling out my gun.

"No," I said. "You need to get checked."

"I'm a detective, just like you. I should be able to come along, armed or not," Qibli said, giving me a determined look. I rolled my eyes, rather annoyed at his demanding tone.

"Fine, but I'm leading."

"I should come, too," Glory said, taking a step forward. "Just in case Moon's hurt."

"Okay, no, no, no," I said with a laugh. "You are definitely not coming. He could be armed, Glory. He knows exactly how to pull my strings if you come along."

"I go if Glory goes," Tsunami huffed.

"Looks like we're all going," Qibli said with a shrug. They all started walking forward. The backup gave me an expecting look and I groaned, ushering them to come along.

What's the point of trying?

We walked for about ten minutes before we found ourselves out of an apartment where Glory and the others were kept in the trunk. Qibli walked around Leopard's car as he looked for any trace of Moon.

"You sure this is the place?" I asked.

"Positive," Glory said. "It's the place where Qibli and Tsunami made out in."

I sent Qibli a look as he glared at Glory.

"She said that out of context," Qibli quickly explained. "It was more of Tsunami's doing."

"Uh-huh," I said as I reached over and used a cotton swab to take a fingerprint sample off of the car wheel. "Not sure Moon would be happy about that. I mean, she already hates Tsu."

"Thanks for reminding me," Tsunami said with an eye roll. "Because that's totally relevant."

"Yeah, well it will be once we all get home," Glory snorted. "Since when did you start loving Qibli, and what about Riptide?"

"Subject change," Qibli loudly said. "I think I found something." His eyes suddenly widened. "Uh, guys, come look at this.

I walked over to Qibli's side of the car, where sure enough, was a thick streak of fresh blood.

~902 words~