[22] Doubting

"There is one you belong to,
Whose love— there is no song for.
And though you know it's wrongful,
There is someone else you long for."

What if you realize you've lost the flame? What if there's no bringing back the spark? Would you try to light it back up, or deal with it in the dark?

~Qibli~

I woke up to Moon shaking me awake.

Where am I?

"Yo, Qibli," Deathbringer's voice said. "The movie's over. You can stop pretending to be awake now."

"Hm?" I asked, lifting my head off Moon's shoulder. "I'm awake."

"Yeah, sure," Tsunami scoffed from her side of the couch. I then remembered Deathbringer and Glory invited all of us for a movie night at their place.

"The dog died," Kinkajou cried. "Why?"

"The dog always dies," Glory pointed out. "I have no idea why that comes as a shocker to you."

I tiredly rubbed my eyes, slowly waking up.

"You were dead ten minutes into the movie," Moon said, raising a skeptical brow in my direction.

"I... don't know what you're talking about," I said, resting my case. "Anyway, I'm tryna go to bed, so..."

"Same," Glory said getting up. "Well, I will after I clean all this up. You know, for someone who likes to keep a clean space, you are awfully messy." She said that part to Moon.

"It's okay, Glory," Deathbringer said, also getting up. "I'll clean up. You can go to bed."

"Thanks," Glory said, kissing his cheek before heading for her bedroom. "Bye, guys."

"See ya," Turtle said, getting up and leaving with Kinkajou and Tsunami.

"Bye," Kinkajou called.

"I'll see ya'll tomorrow for the gender reveal," Tsunami called.

I stood up and stretched. I turned to Deathbringer. "Hey, how's Glory?"

"What do you mean?" Deathbringer asked, a confused expression on his face.

"Well, I mean, how's she doing?" I repeated. "She seemed pretty upset about the dinner with her mom, so I was just wondering if she's doing alright."

"She... has an interesting way of coping with it," Deathbringer said, getting the vacuum to clean up the popcorn-filled rug. "I mean, no matter what I do, she never wants to talk about it. I try to bring the subject up, but she just brushes me off and tells me she's fine."

"Sounds like she's in denial of what happened," Moon said with a shrug before switching the subject. "Oh, I just remembered. You need to send me the address of the gender reveal. I forgot it."

"Unsurprisingly," Deathbringer said. "But sure."

"We can stay to help clean if you want," I said quietly.

"No, it's fine," Deathbringer said. "You seem tired and I'm not going to sleep anytime soon, so."

"Alright," I said, waving to him as Moon and I made our way out. "See you tomorrow."

"See you," Deathbringer called as Moon shut the door behind her. We walked back to our room in total silence until we made it back. We both brushed our teeth and climbed into bed, already in pajamas.

"Hey, Qibli?" Moon asked quietly as I sat down on the bed next to her.

"Yeah?" I asked, turning to her.