[16] Cookies

"This child is a miracle,
A blessing from up above.
Thank you, heavenly Father
For this precious gift of love."

What if this child is not so much of a blessing? What if it only causes havoc? Would you watch that child get aborted, or would you walk in and convince her to her have it?

~Qibli~

As much as I hated Moon being away, especially after I had just gotten her back, I had plenty of things to do to get her off my mind. For instance, I had to deal with Ostrich.

"Come on, Ostrich," I urged. "I need to get to work. Quit your sloping and hurry up!"

Ostrich rolled her eyes and very slowly climbed into the backseat, taking her sweet time. I sighed and headed for the driver's seat.

"Not even a goodbye," Ostrich continued to mumble under her breath. She's been at this since Moon and her brother left a day ago. "For the second time, too."

"Moon's going through a lot," I said, starting the engine. "The least you could do is be supportive of her."

"Supportive my ass," she rudely grumbled.

"Ostrich, stop," I said calmly. "Just put on your seatbelt, okay?"

She scoffed but reached for her seatbelt, buckling herself up. "Everything bad always happens to me," Ostrich suddenly cried. "First, my birthday party is ruined because Glory drowned, then Moon runs away just to come back to leave again! It's like Moon doesn't care about me anymore! I do everything for her–I even studied for my test and got a B! But she wasn't there to see it."

I ran my hand through my hair for a long moment before sighing and driving out of the parking lot and onto the busy street.

"I think I want to live with dad for a little while," Ostrich murmured.

My eyes narrowed in an instant and I felt Ostrich cautiously stare up at me.

"You mean... you want to live with Stonemover?" I carefully phrased. Stonemover had cheated on Thorn almost a year after Sunny was born, and Thorn was a mess for a long time. "Why?" I demanded.

"I just..." She chose her words carefully. "Everything is so much more peaceful there. Plus, he is super rich and super cool."

"Am I not both those things?" I asked.

"Not really," Ostrich said with a shrug.

"Well–well, what about Cryptic, hm?" I asked. "Moon tells me that it's pretty obvious he like you. You can't just leave him."

"Ew!" Ostrich cried. "He doesn't even like me! Plus, I'm only twelve! Don't be gross."

I shrugged.

Just don't go.

Like Moon.

"*"

"You don't know a single card game?" Winter demanded. "Seriously?"

"Yeah, bro. What do you do in your free time?" Icy cried. "How do you not know anything?"

"I know Gold Fish," I said with a shrug. "Let's start with that." I started reaching for the deck of cards when my phone stated ringing.

"Oh, hey, Moon," I said, picking up the FaceTime call. Moon had a messy bun and a grin plastered onto her face. I couldn't help smiling. "What's up?"

"We just made it to California and we are currently unpacking. You?"