iii

England 1942 - Narnia 2307

"What do you think is going on in Narnia right now?" Peter blurted desultorily as the two sat in their hotel room.

Susan looked up from the book she was reading. "I'm not sure." She paused for a second before asking her own question: "How much time do you think has passed there since we left?"

Peter shrugged. "It could be any amount of time. Time is always different there."

Susan nodded and returned to her book. After a couple of minutes, she shivered. "Peter, is the window open?"

His eyebrows furrowed as he looked towards the window. He shook his head "its closed."

"Well, there's a draft coming from somewhere," Susan said as she stood up. She checked the doors and windows and, after seeing they were all closed, shook her head, and lay back down.

A wintry breeze swept through the room causing them to shiver. "What the hell," Peter muttered.

The lights flickered, urging Peter to grab Susan's hand. Darkness enveloped the pair; the room faded away. Forceful wind pushed against them causing them to shudder and, after a minute, open their eyes.

They found their surroundings changed. Instead of the hotel room, they were outside, surrounded by stone buildings and debris.

"Do you think we're in Narnia?" Peter whispered cautiously.

Susan looked at him. "Where else. I think this is one of The Lone Islands." She continued after examining her surroundings once more.

Peter turned to her, perplexed. "From our Golden Age?" She nodded. "I can't see a Narnian flag though and the Lone Islands have always been ours."

They began walking further onto the island, keeping a watchful eye on their surroundings and anything that may be lurking in the shadows.

"It's quiet."

"Too quiet," Peter agreed. "We don't have any weapons either."

They walked further into the town but still no sound was present.  Suspicions began to grow at the empty - seemingly abandoned - village.

"Ah ha." A voice sounded nearby. Susan and Peter jumped slightly and turned, finding that the  source of the voice came from an old man wearing yellow robes and turban.

"Who are you?" Peter questioned defensively.

When the man only walked towards them, Susan picked up a small dagger that was on the floor a few feet away and pointed it towards the man threateningly.

"Look who we have here," he announced to no one in particular. "High king and queen of Narnia."

Ten men suddenly came out of the surrounding buildings, blocking them in. There was a brief moment where nothing happened and they simply stared at one another, appearing to be sizing up their opponents. Then, seven of them grabbed Peter (most likely because he was without a weapon), and the other three went for Susan.

She stabbed the first man in the abdomen drawing a scream from his thin lips. The second had a sword which she quickly disarmed from him. She turned to look for Peter - so she could give him the sword to defend himself - only to find him passed out cold on the floor.