vii

Narnia 2307

They had taken Coriakin's advice two weeks ago and had been in the midst of a storm ever since.

The waves crashed up against the boat, throwing the crew against the wall and to the floor. Lighting struck the ocean often, sometimes causing a larger wave that would slash onto the deck. A dark layer of soot had forced the once blue sky under its tyrannical rule.

Eustace was sat in his sleeping quarters when Repicheep scurried in, soaked through and soggy. He shook himself half dry and sighed.

"The weather's lovely out there," he spoke with a genuine smile covering his little face.

Eustace frowned, looked out the window before looking back at the mouse. "Lovely?" the boy asked, dumbfound by the lexical choice.

"Yes. It's refreshing." The mouse shook himself once more before sighing contently.

The boy, utterly perplexed, glanced out the window once more. He frowned at the mouse sceptically before pulling his knees up to his chest, using his legs to balance his book on.

In Caspian's cabin, Edmund, Peter, Drinian and Caspian were discussing their options.

Drinian, looking quite annoyed, placed a small counter on the map, marking where they were. "So, we're stuck here. At half rations, with food and water for two more weeks." The boat swayed slightly as though it were the one annoyed by the news. Edmund and Drinian had to grip the ceiling for support when they were knocked off balance slightly.

The captain turned to Caspian. "This is your last chance to turn back, your majesty. There's no guarantee we'll spot the blue star anytime soon, not in this storm. Needle in a haystack trying to find this Ramandu's place. We could sail right past it and off the end of the world."

"Or get eaten by a sea serpent," Edmund mocked. The other three glared at him for his childish behaviour.

"I'm just saying the men are getting nervous, these are strange seas we're sailing. The likes of which I've never seen before." Drinian spoke as he made his way around the table.

Caspian stood. "Then perhaps, Captain, you would like to be the one to explain to Mr. Rhince that we're abandoning the search for his family." He rested his hands against the table, glaring at Drinian.

The captain glanced at Edmund and Peter before looking down at the map, shaking his head. "I'll get back to it." He grabbed his jacket as he made his way towards the door.

As though having a second thought, he turned "just a word of warning, the sea can play nasty tricks on a crew's mind. Very nasty."

The boys exchanged looks. It was clear to everyone that tensions had risen dramatically during the time they have been on the water, and it didn't help their case when their captain was deeming the journey futile.

Beyond the closed door, Drinian's voice sounded once more. "Your majesty," they could tell, simply by his voice, that he had bowed to whoever it was.

They were slightly shocked when Susan came through the door, her clothes soaked through, hair glued to her head, shivering, and rubbing her hands together uselessly.

"What the hell were you doing on deck, Susan?" Peter asked as he watched Caspian pull off his jacket and wrap it around her shaking form.

"I thought it'd be a good idea to sunbathe, obviously." She replied, rolling her eyes, and sitting in the window seat, not seeing Peter stick his middle finger up at her back.

She glanced confusedly between Peter and Edmund as the latter began laughing. After a moment, she crossed her arms and looked at Caspian. "He flipped me the bird, didn't he?" she asked rhetorically. "Very mature, Peter," she quipped before doing the same gesture back to him.

Edmund chuckled before walking out, but not before hitting his older brother's shoulder on the way out. Peter moved his index finger between Susan and Caspian in warning before following Edmund out.

Caspian sat down beside her on the window seat, pulling her body into his. "Do you think I'm making the right decision?" he asked her quietly.

She looked up at him from her place at his side, leaning her chin on his arm. "Do you not think you are?"

He shrugged as he looked down to her. "I want to know what you think."

She laughed quietly, though found it sweet that he wanted her input on their situation. "Why?"

Caspian's brows furrowed as he rubbed his hand up and down her waist. "Because I trust you and I know you'll tell me your honest opinion."

"I think you're doing it for the right reasons. You want to help Rhince get his wife back, get rid of this green mist, and get Narnia back to what it once was." Susan supplied, resting her hand on his chest.

"But I've forced these people-" he gestured to the door and the crew beyond it. "-to live off small rations for the past fourteen days and probably the next few weeks also. They're all scared to death with this storm, and they're soaked through."

She began rubbing her hand over his chest, wanting to sooth him, rid him of his worries. "You want to save Narnia from this evil , I'm sure they can last a few weeks."

"It seems like we're always trying to save Narnia from evil these days." He muttered.

She frowned slightly. "Is it that bad, all the time?"

"It's bearable," he shrugged. "I just wish Aslan could do us all a favour and help us again."

Susan froze. "When was the last time you saw Aslan?" she whispered, as though scared of being heard.

He stayed silent for a moment, thinking. "Three years ago, when you left."

She stood up, pulling herself out of his grip. "You haven't seen him for three years?" Caspian shook his head in agreement. "Then where the hell has he been? I suspect doing nothing, as usual."

"Susan," Caspian warned. She looked at him to see him shake his head at her. He stood and pulled her into him. "Don't say stuff like that," he whispered, landing a kiss on her forehead.

She nodded, confused at why she had said those things about Aslan, someone who they all looked up to, someone who she has known since her golden age.

Someone they all loved like a father.

Ten minutes later, Susan made her way back into her sleeping quarters, expecting to find both Lucy and Gale asleep. Instead, she found her younger sister on her knees by the fire, staring into it attentively.

"Lucy?" she whispered, causing the girl to look startled and jump up. "What were you doing?"

Lucy shook her head, suspiciously quick. "Nothing."

Susan nodded, not fully believing it, and got into bed beside a sleeping Gale. She watched as Lucy made her way to the bed, staring at herself in the mirror a little too long.

Lucy got into bed and snuggled into her sister, sighing.

Susan stroked her hair, knowing what was wrong. "You're beautiful Lu, inside and out."

She continued to hug the girl as she heard her sniffling, Susan's nightgown slowly becoming wet from Lucy's tears.

"No matter if we're worlds apart, I'll always love you, Lucy."