xiv

England 1949

Dear Susan,

How is Nepal? Or is it Paris? No, I'm pretty sure its Trinidad. Oh, never mind, it disturbs me that you travel so much that I can't keep up with wherever in the world you are.

I bet you're glad the war is finally over so you can travel again, I know I would be if I were able to do so at the moment. Although nothing in our world could ever compare to Narnia, so I think I'll be slightly disappointed if I'm honest.

In you last letter you asked how my schooling was going. The truth is, I'm not entirely sure. My lectures keep me busy as you said they would, but I can't help but wish I was travelling the world with you or being an apprentice for Professor Kirke like Peter.

Speaking of Peter, he wrote to me asking me to spend Christmas break with him and uncle Diggory. I think Ed is spending it with his girlfriend, so he won't be able to make it unfortunately. He is such a hypocrite, isn't he?

Anyway, I hope you'll be back for Christmas as I haven't seen you since the end of the war, and I would love to spend some time with my favourite sibling. (Don't tell Peter or Ed that I said that).

Love always, Lucy. xx

Susan lips upturned as she read through the letter, laughing lightly as she looked across the open land of Ethiopia that stretched beyond the horizon. She found it amusing that her siblings couldn't keep up with her travels. She was almost certain that her brothers had given up long ago, so it was heart-warming to see that Lucy still tried.

Deciding four years is too long to not see her sister, she wrote back.

Dear Lu,

I don't blame you for getting confused with my whereabouts, I myself am most of the time. As for currently, I am in the beautiful country of Ethiopia. You would love it here, I'm sure of it.

I'm grateful that I'm not longer in education, it was a handful and brought me way too much stress. But I'm glad you enjoy it for the majority. You're good at what you do, so please stick with it - even if it gets on your nerves.

As for Christmas, I will be back before then so of course I'll visit you, Peter and Diggory. It's a shame that Ed can't make it, the little hypocrite he is, but I'm happy that he found love in this world: he deserves it.

Anyway, I'll see you for Christmas – I can't wait.

All my love, Susan. xx

* * *

Susan was walking up the pathway to Diggory's manor when the door swung open, revealing her younger sister. A smile grew on both of their faces as they spotted each other. Lucy called to someone behind her, presumably Peter, before running towards Susan.

They collided in the middle, each wrapping their arms around the other and rocking from side to side, refusing to let go.

Susan pulled back, holding Lucy by the biceps. "Oh my, you've gotten so big." She pulled her into the embrace again.

Lucy laughed. "Well, I am older now. Can you believe I'm seventeen?"

The older sister shook her head, "you've grown up, Lu." She smiled. "I feel so old."

"You are old." Lucy laughed, running back towards the manor as Susan attempted to whack her with her trunk.

Once they got into the manor, the two were hunched over, gasping in air through their laughter.