vii

Narnia 2325

The sun had brushed the horizon when it happened.

The banquet room, which was almost empty except for the group, shook violently. Glances were exchanged, filled with fear and heartache for the events that they knew were finally upon them.

"But we ... we need more time: this wasn't e-enough." Lucy mumbled, looking around panicked.

"Time's up, I'm afraid, Luce." Caspian spoke, pulling her into a tight embrace.

They all knew what that action meant. It was their goodbye.

"Goodbye, brother." Peter spoke as he held Caspian. The room trembled, mirroring the crack in Peter's voice as he spoke the last syllable.

Edmund cleared his throat as Caspian made his way towards him. "You've been a royal pain in my arse over the years." Caspian chuckled at that, nodding in agreement. "But I'm lucky to have found another brother..." Edmund waited a pause as they hugged. "...Even I wanted to make you disappear mysteriously sometimes."

Caspian shoved him playfully, wiping his cheek as a tear trickled down.

Polly and Digory looked at one another before the latter cleared his throat. Susan finally realised what they had been discussing on the dance floor. "We are going to stay," Digory announced, gripping Polly's hand.

"I think it is only fitting that we see its end, just how we saw its beginning." Polly added.

No one tried to argue with them or convince them otherwise, probably because they all found that it made sense.

"You all are welcome to my house," Digory said as the room shook once more.

The two departed after saying their goodbyes, claiming they wanted to watch the sunrise one final time before Narnia caved in around them. Susan found her throat tightening at the old couple, especially the man she had come to love as a grandfather.

Caspian and Eustace embraced, but Caspian did not approach Susan afterwards. The siblings, along with Eustace, began to leave the room. "I'll be there in a minute." Susan spoke as they all turned to look at her when she paused. They nodded in understanding before departing out the opposite door to Polly and Digory.

"You weren't going to say goodbye?" Susan questioned; her voice fragile. She knew that it only took a few words from him to break her, and she was preparing herself for them when he caught her off guard.

"It wouldn't be fair to you." When she sent him a questioning look, he sighed, exchanging his weight from one foot to the other. The two were stood a few feet away from each other, but neither knew who's benefit it was for. "I know that I wouldn't be able to say goodbye. I would beg you to stay."

"Then I will," Susan moved forward, not caring at the shocking promises that were leaving her mouth. "If you want me to, I'll stay."

He shook his head as though he was expecting her reaction. "I want you to stay for me, for my benefit, not for yours. And that is selfish of me. You should not die with this place."

"Neither should you." Catching herself, she added: "Neither should any of the Narnians."

He moved towards her, embracing her for what she knew would be the last time. The ground shook as they met, more forcefully that it had previous. His hands tightened on her waist before he moved them to her face, holding their faces so that their foreheads were touching.