xi

Narnia 2307

They boarded the Dawn Treader once more and began their short journey to the gloomy island.

Moments before they entered the mist that surrounded the island, Tavros broke the tension. "So, what do you think is in there?"

"Our worst nightmares," Susan responded.

"And our darkest wishes," Peter added.

Drinian turned and added his opinion. "Pure evil."

Edmund looked at the three. "Nice to see we're being optimistic," he spoke sarcastically.

Susan smiled at him before realising Caspian's gaze was also on her. It had been for the past few hours. She would catch him staring but when he tried to talk to her, presumably to apologise, he was interrupted.

Caspian walked up to the siblings while Drinian and Tavros gave orders to the rest of the crew. "Let's get ready." His gaze lingered on Susan as they all made their way below deck.

Susan and Lucy went off with Gael, making sure she hid in the sleeping quarters so she wouldn't get hurt. They armed themselves with swords and bows, adding extra protective layers to reduce damage that was likely to come.

Meanwhile, Peter, Edmund, and Caspian were doing the same.

"In case we don't get through...whatever this is...I want you to know I think of you as my brothers." Caspian spoke to them.

"Me too," Peter replied, seemingly forgiven him for what he had done. Or simply believing some things shouldn't have time wasted on.

They looked at Edmund when he remained quiet. "That's a bit weird since you're shagging our sist -"

"ED!" Peter interrupted, groaning as he walked off.

Caspian blushed but kept quiet, knowing he wasn't.

"But I think of you like my brother too." Edmund continued, smiling at Caspian.

They all left their sleeping quarters simultaneously, and Susan and Caspian silently agreed to stay behind as the others went onto deck.

"About the other day –" Caspian began.

She held her hand up. "Caspian, you don't need to apologise: she was beautiful."

He stepped closer to her. "Can you forgive me, my love?"

She answered not. Instead, she leant in for a chaste kiss which he gratefully accepted.

"I love you, Susan."

"And I love you, Caspian."

* * *

"No matter what happens her, every soul who stands before me has earned their place on the crew of the Dawn Treader." Caspian stood in front of the crew; his hand interwoven with Susan's which seemed to give the crew some hope.

"Together we have travelled far. Together we have faced adversity. Together, we can do it again. So now is not the time to fall to fear's temptations. Be strong. Never give in. Our world and Narnian lives depend on it. Think of the lost souls we're here to save. Think of Aslan. Think of Narnia."