ii

Narnia 2325

"The Universe always has reason, which the stars hold." Glenstorm spoke wisely.

Both Glenstorm and Tavros were shocked when they arrived at the castle to find their new guests sat in the King's office. Caspian had promptly questioned the two, hoping they could reveal the reason they had returned to Narnia after all this time.

"What's the reason, then?" Edmund asked.

"I fear that there may be an end in sight," Glenstorm explained in a riddle-like manner.

"An end?" Susan questioned. "An end to what exactly?"

"Narnia."

Lucy shook her head quickly, her vision becoming blurred with tears.

Polly stepped forward. "But what about the Tree of Protection that we planted when we first started Narnia?" She gestured between her and Digory.

"The Tree has weakened over the past two and a half thousand years, enough so that other forces can easily overpower it." Glenstorm explained.

"So, Narnia is coming to an end?" Peter spoke, seeming not sure how to phrase it.

Glenstorm nodded mournfully.

"I thought you said Narnia would always be protected." Rilian spoke from his place on Caspian's hip. Caspian placed a firm kiss on the boy's head, saying nothing.

"Is there anything we can do?" Lucy asked the centaur. A tear slipped down her cheek when she received a shake of his head.

Peter shook his head, "there has to be." He insisted. "We could find a way to strengthen the Tree of Protection." Glenstorm shook his head, but Peter ignored him. "Yes, that's got to be it. Right, who's going to the tree?"

Polly and Digory offered to go, wishing to explore the world they left behind fifty years prior. "I'll go," Susan volunteered, sending a smile towards the two older people.

"Caspian, you'll go too, won't you?" Lilliandil spoke, looking towards her husband.

He looked at her curiously then to the three others he will be joining. "Actually –"

"Perfect," she interrupted, ignoring the beginning of his protest.

* * *

"What are you doing, Lil?" Caspian questioned her before the four left.

"What do you mean?" she feigned innocence as she lifted Rilian from his arms and placed him down.

"Volunteering me to go."

She looked at him. "You wanted to go; I know you did. But you weren't going to say anything, so I volunteered you. They're about to leave. Go on."

Caspian pressed his lips to hers, frowning slightly when she didn't kiss back.

* * *

An hour later, the four were travelling on their horses towards the Tree of Protection. Polly and Digory had fallen behind, looking around the surroundings and chatting with one another. Caspian and Susan led in the front, riding in silence.

"We first met Aslan just over there." Polly spoke, pointing at something in the distance.

The four reached the tree a while later, dismounting their horses before observing the tree. "It does look frail," Digory claimed. He began to walk around the tree, Polly following his footsteps.

Susan nodded in agreement, stepping forward to touch her fingers gently against the trunk. "I don't know if we could fix this," she whispered, more to herself than the group around her.

"Didn't think you'd be one to give up this easily." Caspian spoke from behind her.

Susan, who had forgotten he was there, turned to him. "I'm not giving up."

He scoffed quietly, "sounds like you are."

Susan glared, opening her mouth to speak back before closing it again when Digory and Polly made their way into view once more. "What do you think should be done?" Polly questioned the two.

They stared at one another for a moment.

Sensing the tension, Digory spoke. "Well, it is clear that the tree has not been taken care of over the years." His eyes slid to Caspian, who remained quiet.

Caspian narrowed his eyes at the old man. He turned, making his way back towards his horse.

"Ignore him. I don't know what's wrong with him." Susan spoke when Digory frowned.

Polly nodded, "so what should be done?"

"Maybe if the tree was more cared for then we wouldn't have a problem." Digory resorted with an unusual coldness.

"Well, we've seen the tree now. So, we'll make our way back to Cair Paravel and discuss it more."

* * *

"What is your problem?" Susan asked as she pushed her horse forward, catching up with Caspian.

He glanced at her out the corner of his eyes. "I don't have a problem –"

Susan laughed without humour. "It is clear to all of us that you do –"

"How about –" he turned to her "- you stop worrying yourself with what I do?"

No more conversation was had between the pair, though Susan could hear Digory mutter "awkward" to Polly, who hit him gently in warning.