Part 4

Chapter 9

            Angel picked up Angelic and off they drove to Angelic’s doctor’s appointment.  Traffic was great this afternoon and they arrived twenty minutes earlier than expected.  This in fact was a good thing because the waiting room was almost packed when they walked into the office.  As Angelic walked over to the check in desk to register in, she looked around the room searching out all the expectant moms and their significant others.  Angel, who was right behind her, sensed exactly what Angelic was doing and immediately went into mother mode.

Angel softly stated, “Angelic, I’m going to find us some seats while you sign in.”  She wrapped her arm around Angelic’s shoulder, she whispered into her niece’s ear, “It’s ok baby, just remember I love you and I’m here for you.”

            Angelic just smiled and nodded her head, for surely if she would have tried to say anything she would have lost control of all the built up emotions that she was trying so hard to hold in.  Obediently, Angelic signed in, and then walked over and sat in the saved seat next to her aunt.  They both sat in silence and waited for Angelic to be called.

About 20 minutes later, the nurse called out, “Angelic Moretti?”

Angelic stood up, “Aunt Angel, would you please hold my purse while I’m in with the doctor?”

“Sure,” Angel said as she took the purse and watched her niece walk away.

            Angelic walked back with the nurse who handled all the preliminary things that were needed before being seen by the doctor.  Once all the tests and questions were answered, Angelic was escorted to an examination room.

“Ok Mrs. Moretti, please take off everything and put this gown on and here’s a sheet for you to

cover up with.  Dr. Nicholas will be with you soon,” stated the nurse, as she walked out and closed the door behind her.

            Angelic unrobed and put on the hospital gown.  She hung her clothes up and patiently sat on the exam table and waited for her doctor.  About five minutes later there was a knock on the door.

“Hi Angelic,” said a smiling Dr. Nicholas.

“Hi Dr. Nicholas.”

“Ok, let me take a quick look at your chart…uh huh, I see that you’ve been having morning sickness and tired a lot.”

“Yes I have.”

“Well let me assure you that it’s nothing to be worried about, you’re still in the early weeks of pregnancy and that’s normal.  Once you get further along it should go away or at least get better.  Now, as for you being tired, have you followed my orders of taking it easy and getting plenty of rest?”

“Dr. Nicholas, I’ve done exactly as you have stated.  My Aunt Angelina, who has been great, comes everyday to take care of things for me around the house.  She’s even started preparing my meals, which let me add; I think is a waste of time.  I’m very capable of doing it myself.”

“Well, first let me say that I’m going to have some blood drawn from you today.  I have a suspicion that you just might be anemic.  I’ll have the results back before you leave today.

If I’m correct, I want you to start taking iron supplements along with your prenatal vitamins.  The iron supplements will help to raise your iron and before you know it your energy level should be back to normal.”

Dr. Nicholas then pulled up a stool and sat by Angelic.  Like the true caring doctor she was, she nicely, but sternly stated, “Angelic, your aunt sounds like a very loving and caring person and I think you should continue to let her do these things for you.  Please listen to me and don’t take my words lightly, you need rest and plenty of it.  You also need to stay off your feet for long periods of time and avoid stress at all cost throughout your whole pregnancy.  It’s not good for the baby and it’s not good for you.  You have to keep in mind that it’s taken a long time and a lot of effort for you to get pregnant.  The big factor in all of this is because of the thin lining of your uterus you’re very high risk for miscarriage.  Now, you can deliver a healthy baby but you have to follow my orders to the letter, ok?”