Part 9

Sorry for the delay in updating but I have made this chapter longer to make up for it.  Please leave your comments on this chapter. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 20

Angelic slept for another two hours before she was finally up and about and it was now after two o’clock.  She showered, dressed and then went downstairs to find her aunt.  Angel sat in the family room and watched television.  When Angelic entered she immediately got up, turned off the tube, and ushered her into the kitchen.

“Well sleeping beauty, how about a snack?”

“Sure, I’ll have some watermelon if there’s any left.”

“There’s plenty.”

“Thanks Aunt Angel, I was hoping you would say that.  I woke up craving it.”

“You know me baby, I like to stock up.  When do I ever run out of anything that you love?” Angel said in her ‘you should know better than to ask me that question’ voice.    Angelic watched as Angel moved around the kitchen to grab a utensil and dish.  She placed a nice hefty bowl of watermelon in front of Angelic on the table and was about to excuse herself to return to the family room when Angelic stopped her.

“Aunty, before you disappear, I was thinking that maybe we could go out today in search of a real Christmas tree.  The last thing I want this year is to put up the artificial one.”

“Angelic, do you feel that you’re up to it today?  Baby there’s really no rush, it’s not like Christmas is tomorrow.”

“Aunty, I’m fine and rested--I just need to get out of this house for a little while.  I would really like to get a nice tree before they’re all picked over, please.”  Angel hated when she begged because she could never say no to something that meant so much to Angelic.

“Oh girl, don’t start that begging, you’re about to start working my nerves!”  Angel threw up her hands and then stated, “Alright then, if you’re able to go then I guess we will make the trip.  BUT, understand that once the tree is picked out I’m bringing your butt right back home, are we clear?”

“I understand completely,” Angelic said as she smiled and nodded her head in confirmation.

“Good, now finish your fruit.  I’ll be up in my room, I need to get my phone book so that I can call my neighbor and see how Katrina is doing.  Come get me when you’re ready,” and with that said, she left out of the kitchen.

            Angelic finished her snack and she and Angel were on the road in no time at all.  It was a particularly nice day for the first week of December.  The tree lot was full of people who were on the prowl for the perfect one.  Angelic found her choice with no problems at all.  She paid for the tree and made arrangements with the owner to have it delivered before dinner time.  Angel was thankful that her niece wasn’t a fussy shopper.  In and out was Angel’s method; know what you want, find it, and get out.  On the drive back home Angelic asked Angel to stop past Trey’s office.  She had little cash on hand and wanted more money so that she could tip the delivery person.  As luck would have it Angel found a metered parking spot right in front of the law firm.

“I’ll be right back.  I shouldn’t take any more than ten minutes.”

“Don’t kill yourself trying to rush back down here.  Take your time and here, put this quarter in the meter,” Angel stated as she reached over and placed the coin in Angelic’s hand.