Ψ ᴅᴇᴘʀᴇssɪᴏɴ Ψ

At some point in their lives, about one in four Americans will experience depression.

⇒The average age of onset of depression is 32.

⇒Untreated Depression Is the Most Common Cause of Suicide.

⇒In America, someone attempts suicide once every minute, and someone completes a suicide once every 17 minutes.

⇒Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is the term for depressive periods that are related to a change of season. SAD is four times more common in women than in men.

⇒Mentally talking to yourself during tasks is a good way to keep yourself focused.

⇒Depression is the type of mental illness that causes people to feel sad for long periods of time, generally more than two weeks. People who feel depressed often describe feeling sad, empty, or irritated.

⇒ Due to our natural instinct for protection, we naturally tend to focus on the negative of a person more than the positive.

⇒In China, someone takes his or her own life on average every two minutes.

⇒People who are depressed are more prone to illnesses like colds than non-depressed people.

⇒Depressed people might not look depressed.

⇒A small amount of stress helps you to remember things better but a large amount hinders your memory.

⇒Sleep more or minimum 7 hours a day. Sleep makes you more creative and makes your memories stronger plus it releases the stress and pain from your body and decreases the anxiety and depression for better life.

⇒Depression can increase the risk of developing other health issues.

⇒Friends are also important part of depression recovery .We are social animals and we tend to secrete serotonin and other good neurochemicals when we communicate with others . We feel safe in the company of others . Serotonin is found to be in low levels in depression that causes mood swings .

⇒Depression may aggravate inflammation associated with rheumatoid arthritis.

⇒Singing and dancing when tense helps you avoid anxiety and depression.

⇒ Holding in tears and pretending to be okay puts a lot of stress on your mind as well as your heart. Crying keeps you healthy.

⇒Some diseases are interconnected with depression, such as thyroid problems, heart disease, stroke, cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, obstructive sleep apnoea, and chronic pain.

⇒More than half of caretakers of elderly family members have symptoms of major depression.

⇒The first mental asylum in the U.S opened in 1773 in Williamsburg, Virginia.

⇒Abraham Lincoln suffered from chronic depression

⇒It is more likely someone will die from suicide than from homicide. For every two people killed by homicide, three people die of suicide.

⇒The total cost of depression in the United States are estimated to be $44 billion: $12 billion in direct costs of treatment, $8 billion in premature death, and $24 billion in absenteeism and reduced productivity at work. These do not include out-of-pocket family expenses, costs of minor and untreated depression, excessive hospitalization, general medical services, and diagnostic tests.

⇒On a worldwide basis, depression ranks fourth as a cause of disability and early death according to the Global Burden of Disease Study.

⇒Freud, who revolutionized the practice of psychiatry with his theories of the unconscious, postulated that depression comes from anger turned against oneself.