#3 | Birthday

This was probably the first time in his life that Connor had experienced boredom. Nothing interesting had come in on the DPT's computers in hours, so he was left to his own devices. Those devices were his coin in his pocked – freshly polished, curtesy of (Y/N) – his new phone (despite being a walking computer) and his own sub-conscience.

But something about this particular day felt strange. As though he was forgetting an important moment of some kind, perhaps something that happened to him. He just couldn't pinpoint what.

He felt a tug at his shirt sleeve. Turning to face the culprit, a smile crept up his face. His boredom was cured. "Hey lovely. What are you doing in?"

(Y/N) tilted her face to the side, arching an eyebrow. "You do realise your shift ended an hour ago, right?"

Connor paused, blinking. He spun his chair around to check the time on his computer monitor. He ran a hand over his face, exasperated. He worked too late again. "And that's the 3rd time this week. Please tell me I didn't keep you waiting at home. I wouldn't forgive myself."

She laughed at his worry, taking his hand. No matter how stressed he was, she always found a way to lighten the mood somehow. "Oh relax, you dork. I just came to rescue you, that's all. Now c'mon, I've got a little something planned."

Connor couldn't help but lean in a little closer to her. He lowered his voice, eyes scanning the almost empty office. "Is this the kind of something we should be discussing at work?"

This earnt him a slap over the shoulder.

"Okay, okay. Bad joke. I'm getting up." He chuckled, pushing himself up out of his chair and tucking it in. It was late into the afternoon, so most of the day shift was off doing other things downtown. Everyone but Connor, and Fowler sitting aimlessly in his office but that was beside the point.

That's when he noticed (Y/N) bouncing on the balls of her feet, rocking back and forth with her hands behind her back much like a child would. She was trying to keep it casual. A common sign that something was up.

"Alright, what are you hiding?"

"Hm?" She stopped her unconscious rocking to look at him. "What do you mean?"

"That's the same swing you were doing before my 'welcome home' party to celebrate me moving in. So, what are you hiding."

She acted clueless, tilting her chin up to the ceiling. If this were a cartoon, she'd be whistling innocently. "I have no idea what you're talking about. You're imagining things."

He took her hand gently in his, pulling her closer to him. She smiled as he looked at her with an arched brow. "Am I now?"

But smooth moves weren't enough to rouse an answer from her. She threw his coat over her shoulder and began dragging him out of the bullpen. "Mhm. You are. Now c'mon, I kept the car running."

"I'll find a way to get it out of you."

"Sure you will."

-----------------------------------------------------------

(Y/N) was surprisingly quiet on the drive home, the radio playing quietly in the background as she sat behind the wheel. She practically insisted she drive. Another sign that something was going on.

Connor was now beginning to doubt himself. Was he missing an important date? An anniversary? Someone's birthday? He just couldn't find the answer, and it was eating him up inside. He was getting worried he'd done something wrong.