2| The Interrogation

Reader's Perspective

Carlos Ortiz's android was sitting at a desk handcuffed in the interrogation room. Hank was on the other side of the table, trying to get it to talk. The rest of the group were sitting behind the one-way glass.

"Why'd you kill him?" Lieutenant Anderson asked.

No answer.

"What happened before you took that knife?"

Still no answer.

Connor, Gavin, Chris & (Y/N) were all listening intently, but they weren't getting anything so far. Reed scooted over to where the female detective was sitting.

"We're not getting anything out of this piece of plastic."
"Oh, come on Reed. Have faith."
"We're bothering to actually talk to this plastic shit why exactly?"
"Because he's a suspect, Gavin. Now, I came here to work, not listen to you whinge."

She moved her chair away from him.

"How long were ya in the attic? Why didn't you try to run away?"
Hank clicked his fingers in front of the unresponsive deviant before slamming his hands on the table.
"Say something goddammit!"

The android just sat there, looking down at the desk to not make eye contact with any of the officers.
The Lieutenant stood up shaking his head.

"Fuck it, I'm out of here."
He walked out of the room to join the others.
"We're wasting our time interrogating a machine, we're gettin' nothing out of it!" He slouched down into the chair.

"Could always try roughing it up a little. After all, it's not human."
"If you were abused daily & you were only defending yourself, would you like to be hurt even more Gavin?"
"No-one asked for your opinion (L/N)."
"Neither did they yours Reed, just because you can't face the fact that you're wrong doesn't mean you need to take your temper tantrum anger out on me."
She hissed back, they ended up face to face, both spitting venom.

"Why are you standing up for a fucking machine? Even worse, one that killed its owner!"
"He was defending himself."
"You called it a he, Christ's sake (Y/N) they're nothing but pieces of plastic built to serve!"
"Oh please, you probably yell at your microwave on a daily basis!"
"Will you two SHUT IT?" Hank split the bickering pair up. (Y/N) glared at Reed & Reed glared back. A silence fell over the room.

"Androids don't feel pain." Connor broke the silence innocently. "You would only damage it & that wouldn't make it talk. Deviants also have a tendency to self-destruct when they're in stressful situations- "
"Okay, smartass," Gavin intervened. "What should we do then?"
"I could try questioning it."

Reed let out a laugh & (Y/N) elbowed him in the rib, causing him to wheeze & cough.
"At least he thought of a reasonable approach. Hank?"
A small pause followed by a shrug.

"What do we have to lose? Go ahead, suspects all yours."

Connor walked into the room before standing in front of the glass, in the interrogation room it would be a mirror, it was as if he was admiring himself. (Y/N) couldn't help but smirk, holding back a giggle.
"What the fuck is it doing now?"
He went back to deviant, looking at several photos. He sat down across from the deviant, its head was still down. (Y/N) could see him analysing the android.

They were sitting there,
waiting.

"You're damaged, did your owner do that?" He asked. "Did he beat you?"
The deviant simply sat there.

"I detect an instability in your program. It can trigger an unpleasant feeling, like fear in humans."

Still nothing.