17| A Ten Dollar Note

(And yet somehow I'm still alive in this country)

Reader's perspective

Opening the front door to her place of comfort, (Y/N) outstretched her arms, as if giving the air a hug. "Honey, I'm home!" She yelled, flopping down on the sofa, leaving the door open for the android following her.

Just as she had said that, barking was heard from upstairs.

"Sorry about him, he's a big softie but sometimes he's- well you know...protective. He can probably smell someone new in the house." (Y/N) apologised due to her hound's behaviour.

"It's alright."

Using the shortened breath of which she still had, she let out a long whistle. The sound of padding feet rushing down the stairs was followed by a small thud, & in the blink of an eye a German Shephard was at her side, tail wagging. She ran a hand through his fur, his head resting on the edge of the couch as she gave him a scratch behind the ears.

"Aw, was my sweetheart worried?" She asked her pooch. He nuzzled his face into the crook of her neck before giving her face a loving lick as if responding.

"I'm okay bud, don't worry." She laughed, resting her forehead against his.

Meanwhile, Connor was looking around her house in curiosity.

Leaving her side, Blue went up to Connor, sniffing at his free hand.

"If I may ask, how much did you have to pay in order to get him over the international border?" Connor leaned down, scratching behind the dog's ear.

"My wallet's still crying, I think that answers your question." She chuckled.

"It was worth it though. Man's best friend will be there through ever up & down." (Y/N) sighed.

"Are you alright?"

"Of course I am, Connor..."

"You were held gunpoint by a deviant, I wouldn't expect someone to go out of the situation of being held hostage & be fine about it afterwards."

"Maybe I was scared, alright? Maybe I looked around that rooftop & thought 'this is it, this is the last thing I'm going to see'. Maybe I was terrified of leaving the people who cared for me. I was scared of leaving like my parents did." She let out a frustrated sigh, loosening her grip on the pillow she was squishing in anxiety.

"Can't remember the last time I sat down & took a break. Actually taking a deep breath for once feels like someone's telling me to win the lottery first try. Maybe Hank's right...Maybe I should pause for a bit."

"You seem anxious. If you feel as though a break will benefit you, then I believe you should."

Blue leaned his head against Connor's leg, making (Y/N) smile.

"I hope you find more things to smile at in the future, it looks nice on you. It's nice to see you happy."

"That's refreshing coming from someone who feels nothing."  She shook her head. A comfortable silence sat until she spoke again, cutting it.

"I feel like a sidekick. A stray dog." Blue almost instantly looked at her, as if insulted. "No offense."

"How so?"

"Well, you & Hank are out actually solving problems & unfolding cases. I feel more like...the building that's blocking the sunset. The lint you flick away when it's stuck to the sleeve of your jacket."

"You can't be that bad if we've been very productive over the past days."

"Yeah, sure. Alright, tell me one thing I've done that's helped the investigation."