23| Time To Decide

Connor's Perspective

Several moments before the encounter

Connor watched the female android leave the room as he sat at the corner, readying to approach the deviant leader. He fixed the brim of the beanie that sat on his head.

"Scary future in front of us...isn't it?" A voice he knew all too well rang through the air behind him. His 'heart' clenched when he realised he was right about his assumptions & that he'd be fighting someone he cared dearly about.

He cared about (Y/N).

More than anything, more than the mission.

Was that truly so bad?

+____+____+____+___+

Software Instability ^

+____+____+____+___+

"Quite shocking that we may have to end it in war..." The leader, supposedly Markus, responded.

"You know there's another way, Markus." concern laced her voice. "I know my people, & one of their fluent languages is chaos & war. Let's not let Detroit fall into that. Hell, let's not let the world fall into that. We've broken enough promises, enough laws, enough people. We've broken enough already." Connor had never heard her be so compassionate about anything. Well, except maybe her dog, or takeout food.

"For someone known to have a short temper, you can be surprisingly wise at times."

"Hey!" He heard her playfully scowl.

"I'm just joking with you."

"Glad to see someone enjoying our inevitable demise." Connor could practically hear her roll her eyes, this was when he decided to peer through the small window to watch their conversation.

"What'll you do if we succeed?" She asked him.

"I haven't really thought that far ahead...Guess I'll just help my people roll with the punches."

The RK800 knew the phrase well, especially after the night at the Eden Club.

"What about you?" The leader asked back.

"Me? I've got no clue whatsoever. I guess I'd have to start by explaining to Fowler where I've been all this time. Same thing with Hank, although I owe him an apology for scaring the shit out of him. I have a lot of walks with Blue to make up for. And as for Connor..."

What about Connor? What did she have to say about him? His LED flickered yellow.

"Are you ready to forgive him?"

There was a silence that felt as though it lasted a lifetime.

"Y-Yes...Yes, I am." Connor felt as though his heart was going to malfunction because of that one sentence. A feeling of almost glee washed over him, but then he remembered the true reason he'd come to Jericho.

"Have you told him yet?"

"You have no idea how much it hurts to love someone knowing they won't love you back."

Time froze. He froze. His programming went static & everything felt cramped.

She..

She loved him?

"Stop the pattern, Markus." She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Find a way to speak to them, show them you're all just as human as they are. Don't let this be our end, your end."

"You speak as if you're not one of them."

"If they don't agree to this then I won't be one of them."

"You should become a writer, you'd be a real hit."