#1 | Halloween Mini Chapter

(I understand it's a hecking long time until Halloween but frankly I'm the fastest spook in the West and I couldn't help but post this bad boy early. So screw it, we'll skeleton doot doot 24 - 25 days too early. Enjoy!)

"No."

"Come on Con, please?"

"No. No way."

"Pleassssssse?"

"(Y/N), no. You're accident prone as hell and frankly I don't think I can deal with another call along the lines of 'your girlfriend has dislocated her shoulder'."

"But it's just-"

"Nope. I can't hear you; I'm focusing on an incredibly important file." Connor turned his spinning chair away from (Y/N). She peaked over at the document in front of him and immediately felt conned. (You see what I did there? Hehehehe ^ - ^ )

"You're looking at a blank piece of printer paper!" She huffed childishly, blowing a piece of (H/C) hair out of her face. She ran a hand over Blue's head as he sat under her desk, head on her knee and tail tapping against the floor. After dating for at least a year since the android revolution, it took barely any time for Connor to realise (Y/N)'s obsession with all things spooky. When she caught news of an old lolly shop - or so they were called in Australia - that had shut down and mysteriously been abandoned, she jumped at the sound of a good ol' fashioned haunting, especially with it being October.

Connor wasn't as eager.

"Love, I understand October is your 'favouriteist' – which isn't a word, might I add – time of the year, but going to some run-down treat shop because it's 'spooky' is not a valid excuse for wasting valuable work time."

"Valuable work time my ass." She muttered, Hank walking past the two of them.

"What's she shitting about now?"
"An old abandoned candy store a few blocks away."
Hank scoffed. "Oh god, it's happening again."
"What is?"
"Long before you got here if (Y/N) heard of anything that sounded even remotely Halloween related she'd haul ass to get to it. Drove her old partner fuckin' crazy."
Connor slid the paper away. "I'm guessing you were her old partner before the 'deviancy' spread?"
"Sometimes. Where do you think I got the grey hair from? I'll answer it for you, looking out for that little shit and all her adventures."
There was a long pause, no snarky remark, no smart comment, only the sound of Blue panting happily. Connor sighed, rubbing his forehead.
"Blue's sitting in her chair, isn't he?"
"Mhm."
"She's gone."
"Yep."
"Made a dead bolt for the shop?"
"Most likely."
He got out of his chair. "Bring it on."
——————————————————
Parking her car outside the old building, (Y/N) mentally high fived herself for her sneaky escape. She grabbed the flashlight that sat on the passenger seat, stepped out of the vehicle and locked it, ready for her creepy escapade. Trying her best not to disrupt the peace of the neighbourhood, she reached the door, only for it to fall off of its hinges and land with a bang as soon as she touched the handle. She poked her head inside the shop, spiderwebs danced across every still stocked shelf and the cash register had a sheet draped over it.
"Oh, you know we're gonna explore this bitch." She remarked, stepping into the ancient building.
"Not alone you're not." (Y/N) jumped, tripped on a loose floorboard sticking out, and almost fell face first to the ground. She luckily caught herself with her elbows, a cloud of dust erupting from the floor as she landed with a thud.
"Yep, I deserved that." She coughed, Connor offering a hand for her to get up.
"Now do you realise why I don't approve of you doing things like this? You've only been here ten seconds and you've already managed to break private property. Not to mention you're bleeding." He gestured to her knee, the blood patch visibly soaking through her jeans.
"I'm fine, really. I bet it's just a scratch!"
"That's what you said about your shoulder."
"Okay, I'll admit the shoulder wasn't my most graceful execution- even if I'd already scratched it beforehand - but just look at this place!" She spun dramatically, arms out as if the building falling to pieces around them was some kind of fairytale kingdom. A ceiling panel fell from further inside the shop, and several pigeons flew out of the gaping hole in the roof, escaping through a broken window.
"Believe me, I'm looking." Connor's voice was monotone as he scoped the scene, he was clearly ready to go home.
"Wait, where's Blue?"
"Waiting out in the car for us to get this done."
"Don't sound so bummed, Con! I mean, sure it's a bit of a fixer upper, but babe, imagine what is was like! It looks so magical, well, it probably did. Children giddy to visit on their way back from school- Oh! What would the owner of a place like this look like?"
"Green hair, probably."
"Yeah! Wait, why would you-"
"There's a dead body behind the counter." He kneeled down to analyse the deceased man with neon locks.

"Aha! See, it's not just 'spooky', it's a crime scene! An old one, probably, but-"

"It's pretty fresh, probably been here for about two hours." He looked over at his girlfriend to see her stunned expression.

She nodded at him.

"..Yeah that's it we're leaving."
"No more obsession with this place?"
"Nope. Gotta tell Fowler about this place. No more spook. All spooked out."
"Smartest thing you've said all day."